Cheap car hire??

We're off for a long weekend over Easter and need to hire a car. Has any one had any experience of local car hire at a reasonable price?

I've found a lot of the companies are extortionate and you end up paying for scratches which were there before you drove the car! Any good suggestions would be really appreciated, thanks :)

I have never hired a car in London but I regularly hire one using Hertz at Dublin Airport but they have branches everywhere. I'd echo uncleglen, check the paperwork, sometimes the rep comes out to check the scratches, be assertive and make sure it is accurate. They normally try and sell you excess insurance, check how much this is going to be as it is probably cheaper to get it online, google car hire excess insurance. Lastly check their fuel policy as you have to return the car with a full tank otherwise you pay a refueling charge plus expensive fuel charges.

Be careful though because sometimes they will tell you that they have a certain size of car on the phone or internet and when you get there they don't have what you wanted and try to get you to take something else. Also make sure you take all the documents they ask for

• 3 months later...