Gas/electricity service providers - which is cheapest?

Our gas bills are massive and once again, I'm about to do a utilities comparison for either just gas or both gas and electricity combined but before I start, I wondered if anyone has swapped recently and found a good /relatively cheap option? We are with 'British gas' at the moment on their highest tariff (it's a long boring story...)

We're with Ovo. Went with them after seeing recommendations on this forum and doing a comparison.

Decent customer services and website too.

Think our bills have been noticeably lower, but we've also got meaner with the heating too!

Try to have a look of this website www.uswitch.com

And see if comparing prices there helps you.

I am about to start this same process as well and already had a little peak of this site and gave me loads to think about.

Good luck!

I certainly know uswitch.com - went through the whole long winded process via their website a few months ago, switched to another provider and phoned them to discuss it too, and waited for confirmation which they said could take up to 6 weeks - when I hadn't heard after 6 weeks, I called to check and they had mislaid my details and had no record of the switch. That's why I want to go direct this time.

If you don't want to use a switching site to switch through, use them to carry out a price comparison and then contact the company direct.

Best value will depend on your usage, whether you want a variable or a fixed price contract and whether you're happy to go with a smaller supplier or stick with a better known one. Just make sure you input your annual usage in kilowatt hours into the switching site and not the amount you pay for your monthly direct debit. It will be more accurate that way.

Hi Hillstop

yes thanks, I did all that last time - our kilowatt hours are very high. The main complication for us is that we were put on British gas business instead of residential when the flat was converted, which has caused no end of complications in trying to switch in the normal way which works for everyone else and tha's why I'm trying to get recommends to approach directly as switching sites can't cope with the fact we are on a business tarrif but are now able to switch to residential.

• 4 months later...
I posted this question in the spring and still haven't managed to switch to a residential supplier becasue British gas business have messed our a/c up again - I'm just about to try and sort it so if anyone has any updates on best gas suppliers for this area (and electricity too) that would be helpful, thanks!