Swimming lessons

Oh wise people of the family room - please tell of swimming with your offspring. I had a foray into lessons when my son was 18months and I remember it involved queuing very early at Peckham Pulse and a winter of not very successful lessons for various reasons, him with a cold, me with a cold,teacher with a cold etc.

I now have a 4 yr old and a 2 yr old. I'd like them both to learn to swim. Can anyone help me navigate the logistics? Can't imagine little one waiting and watching patiently. Is there a set up where big one can swim in group class with teacher and I can simultaneously be in the water in a lesson with the little one? I'm off thurs, fri and weekends. ( when we could take one each)

When do the new terms begin? Where do I need to queue at the crack of dawn? I'm equi distant between ED pool and Peckham Pulse, JAGS sounds good. Thanks in advance!

The 4 year old would swim alone and the 2 year old would need a parent - I struggled to find a day/time when both these types of lessons were on at the same time. Now my little one is 3 it works well to take them both on a Saturday as they both swim alone with teacher and classes are at similar times. I haven't looked recently so could be wrong!

You might find you're best off finding a class for the 4 year old and then taking your 2 year old to general swim at the same time and doing some simple teaching for him/her yourself.

You need to find out what Monday the next session opens for new registrants and then get there early on that day. Or sometimes they actually have free spaces in some classes so you could try for your 4 year old? Just go into reception and ask. Personally I'd go for Peckham Pulse as they seem to like the warmer pool - so would I!

My 3.5 yr old has lessons at the Forest Hill Pools (Fusion) every Saturday morning (8.30am) and absolutely loves them! She started in January and hadn't had any swimming lessons prior to that.

Alieh is right - under 3s need an adult to join them. My 20 month old is yet to start although they also have lessons for her age group (unfortunately not in the same pool or at the same time). She seems content watching her sister with me, at least for now. Given her sister has had no problem getting into swimming, my plan is to just focus on lessons for the older one and have her sister join us for general swim (when we get round to having them).

Hope that helps!

Jags is very good, there is a parent toddler class on at 9am on Saturdays and other levels on after that. I enrolled my daughter last year and had to get there early and take a number but once you are in you have first chance of renewing for the next lot of lessons. The next lot of lessons start next sat -Dean from jags is very helpful. We have also just started lessons for my baby son at peckham pulse - no queuing to get on, Roxanne who sorts out the lessons was also extremely helpful. Not sure how you would take them together but jags may be your best bet. Good luck!

Hi Kittysailing,

Is your 4 year old a beginner? Here at JAGS we run lessons Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 4.45pm and Saturday & Sunday mornings from 9am...

As mentioned above we run Parent & Toddler lessons for chidlren aged between 2-3yrs on a Saturday and Sunday morning at 9am, if your 4 year old is a Beginner we also run a beginner lesson on both days at 9am.

Our renewal period ends this coming Sunday (13th) after this date all that have not renewed from last term will be removed and available spaces will go on sale on 16th for members and 17th for non members...

As it stands space in both the parent and toddlers will become avaialble as well as the beginners however this may change by the 13th. All spaces on the 16th and 17th are on first come first serve basis.

If you require any further information please drop me an email at [email protected]

Kind regards

JAGS

Spa at Beckenham does crash courses during school holidays for a very reasonable price. Their training pool floor raises for younger swimmers and the water is nice and warm. 5 days in a row does make a difference and after that you can just copy what they were doing during their classes.

• 2 weeks later...
Another option is Camberwell Leisure Centre - we were there for their kids gym class and just signed up for swimming at the reception. I have memories of queueing in the cold, early hours of the morning when my son was a baby to get a place at Peckham Pulse - dreadful. This was so easy and the lessons are about ?5 and seem really good!