moving to Sussex

canela

Hello, as our vague plans are to move to Sussex I wonder if any family roomers have any experience of life in that area?

We're not thinking Brighton as already done that and getting quite pricey, and not really thinking along the coast. We're thinking in-land, small town or large village. Good community feel would be nice. We love Sussex, but outside of Brighton don't have a whole lot of knowledge so just some pointers would be great!

Lewes is a great town, house prices are not much lower than London.

Short trip by train to Gatwick; could get noisier from aeroplanes in future.

Further inland Petersfield gets my vote but again housing is pricey.

Designated inside S. Downs National Park, countryside fantastic round there.

Trains frequent & fast, it's on the London/Brighton line.

Lovely area but things to really watch are transport links - can be really slow, and schools. There are lots of lovely areas where the schooling choices are not great unless you go private.

We found a beautiful house in East Sussex but didn't pursue it due to the above reasons.

Battle is nice, and has good schools. Link to London rather slow but there has been an ongoing campaign to extend the Marsh Line. If that went ahead it would add it to HS1 which would make a huge difference.

Hi, we moved to Lewes in January and really enjoying it so far. Its a friendly, arty town, good range of shops and facilities for its size, lots of green space, lots going on for kids. Our house (on one of the newer estates) was definitely way cheaper than Dulwich & surrounds but older properties are expensive. London is just over an hour a way but there seem to be often delays so the commute can be a slog, and the season ticket is a big cost to factor in if you would be commuting.

Hi Canela,

I lived in Brighton for about 7 years after Uni and still work down that way about once a month. A lot of the people I work with move further along the coast - Southwick, Shoreham - am sure they are relatively dull but they are right by the sea and attract the crowd from Brighton/Hove who want more house for their money. Commute not great though.

I know Lewes quite well, am very fond of it, I think its beautiful and an amazing place to bring up kids. If you are thinking Haywards Heath I've heard the Lindfield part is meant to be the nicest and good for families. And the commute from HH/Burgess Hill is better than from Brighton. Having done the commute from Brighton though I would say that if you get on at any point after Brighton you will not get a seat on the way into London in the morning - therefore you would need to consider if you want to spend 45 mins standing up each morning, every morning.

Good luck

My brother and his family moved from ED to Hassocks 2 years ago - it's near Haywards Heath, and also near the villages of Hurstpierpoint, Lindfield, Cuckfield etc.

It's a direct line to London Bridge (45 mins I think) and they really like the area - easy reach to Brighton, good local schools and community and lots of lovely walks on the South Downs...Hassocks not as picture book as the other two villages (which I think made it a bit cheaper for them) but that partof Sussex definitely worth consdiering given the slightly quicker commuting times

Hi My husband is from Burgess Hill in West Sussex and his parents still live there. We have talked about moving to Sussex in a few years time when our son finishes his education as we will need more space and you do get a lot more for your money than in South East London.

We have discussed living in Haywards Heath and also Cuckfield which is a lovely village just outside of Haywards Heath. Haywards Heath would definitely be easier for my husband to commute from and has all the 'usual suspects' restaurant wise as well as some very good Schools.

Thanks! The plan is to not have to commute on a regular basis. I've done that before from Brighton and whilst ok I don't want to combine with kids. However, the reason we moved to London was it was so difficult to get work down there! But I've so many friends who have managed to make it work that I am hopeful.

I am drawn to Lewes or the surrounding area as it has a great vibe. But, yes, pricey for the region.

thanks for all the ideas - and more welcome!

My daughter lives in Goring by Sea - her nearest station is Durrington which is just over an hour to East Croydon. Her 3 bed ex council house was recently valued at ?138K purchased 8 years ago for ?125K. Opposite the station there is a good row of around 20 shops with a fantastic butcher, a bakery several cafes/takeaways, green grocers, etc. The area has several large supermarkets all within 2- 5 miles away. Frequent bus service into Worthing during the day bu they seem to stop around 7 pm and no buses on Sundays. Plenty of schools etc.

My brother, his wife and little girl also moved to Lindfield near Haywards Heath. Pretty village green, pond and shops and only 10 minutes to Haywards Heath. He is in one of the more modern houses and was very reasonably priced. Only 15 mins or so from the coast which is nice and 1.15 to ED by car!

I grew up in Haywards Heath and although I haven't lived there for many years I still have famiy there.

The transport links to London are excellent and always have been, the local schools are good and always have been. As others have said nearby villages like Cuckfield and Lindfield are gorgeous and don't forget Balcombe which also is on the London-Brighton rail route.

It's a nice place to live and we would almost certainly have moved down that way if we were facing current London house prices, but I'm still glad my children grew up here for the diversity etc.

Good luck!

yes, diversity etc is an issue for us as we are a mixed family. we've lived in brighton before and have family ties to brighton and the whole of sussex so do feel very at home there. but really keen to find a more arty, alternative kind of place where i think we would fit in better. kind of trying to find brighton but a bit quieter.....if that is possible?

it's a hard decision to make. i was v against our initial move to london but now we are here i can see how much it has going for it for the kids etc. yet i just know that whenever i move out of london i feel so much happier! and the kids were born in the countryside and are keen to get back. they are still small. i feel that if we don't go soon we never will. which would be fine too - i love east dulwich - but something in me wants to see if we can make it work.

I'm from Haywards Heath and it's fine, close enough to London and Brighton. It has good schools, great playing fields in hindsight and a nice buzz. The surrounding villages are great but having had a boyfriend who lived in various ones it was pain as you are totally reliant on a car which can be tricky when you have older children or commuting. I'd say it's more diverse culturally if that's what you are looking for but not like brighton.

There are supposedly good and bad areas (I probably came from the bad one), but its very different to London.

Good luck, sussex is lovely, I just went this weekend, discovered Petworth, beautiful.

There is also a Brighton line train into City Thameslink which stops at Balcombe, Haywards Heath etc I think.

We will probably end up in Sussex eventually. My husband and I are both from there. Top of our lists to commute in from would probably be Haywards Heath or Horsham. I think Horsham's probably a nicer town than HH (although admittably I've not been to the later in many years). I went to school nearby. Lindfield's always been a pretty village but you probably get more for your money elsewhere. If you're not going to be commuting in then I'd live nearer Petworth which I think is lovely.

Hi Canela,

I wll be following the post :) We had visited Forest Row ( i do love it there) and East Grinsted 4 times now and went to stay there last week in a hotel just to sepnd a bit more time. 1 hour commute which is great, very good schools. Lovely green spaces, art community and very diverse! Obviously has the biggest Steiner community and biodynamic farming near and around. It all creates an alternative living. It reminds me Brockley food market which is best I think. So far it is on top of our list! Not far from the beach sides and London. Ticks a lot of boxes for us. Have you been down there yet?

Ayshin

Parts of Worthing are very nice but some areas are a bit grotty. Was there a few weeks ago - wide range of ages, good shopping centre. if you are going to need Social Services at any point - be aware West Sussex are not generous.

My daughter comes under Worthing - recycling is poor ,food recycling non existent, council tax and water rates high