Sept 2014 Primary School Admissions

Good luck to parents.

This years overall 79.20% of families have been allocated their 1st preference, 94.0% one of their six preferences, 5.8% have been offered an alternative places.

These numbers are worse than last year by respectively 3%, 1.9% and 1.8%. Please see attached spreadsheet.

For helpeither contact a local councillor or use the School Preference Service - see attached for details.

Don't forget new free schools are outside this system so the new East Dulwich Harris Primary School opening Setpember 2014 on Homestall Road and then moving permanently to the East Dulwich former police station Sept'15 may have the odd place during the shake out.

I find it next to impossible to believe that 79% of parents in Southwark attain their first preference. Out of the eight Southwark parents I have spoken to so far about their allocated place, only one received their first choice. I received my second choice and frankly find that a miracle and am delighted. Two of the eight fell into the 6% not allocated one of their six choices and are devastated by the school they have been offered.

Hi iclaudia,

The stats usually show the Dulwich area and SE22 to be lower than this. But as with previous years the summary stats haven't been broken down in advance, despite requests in advance for this. The area around Homestall Road and Melford Road will be significantly lower.

The good news is that with a local free school opening this September we have an extra 60 places. The central admissions didn't include these. So we have 60 families with offers for East Dulwich Harris Primary school AND another offer in a local primary school. These offers shaking out with people deciding which of the two places they currently have will result in more movement with 60 places locally being released.

James,

Can you find out exactly how many offers Harris have actually made please? And how many families they have on a waiting list (if any)? I know of someone who applied on Tuesday and was offered a place yesterday, and have not heard of anyone being turned down, which makes me suspect they are actually undersubscribed. If half the parents holding offers know turn them down in favour of their alternative offer, might we be in a situation where it is decided that the new school is not viable this year? How do Harris propose to fill the spare places - will they be handed back to Southwark to fill with families still needing to be allocated somewhere? I have been trying to contact Harris to ask the same but to no avail so far. Thanks.

Hi Caroline_S,

The new East Dulwich Harris Free School, as with other free schools when they open in Southwark, isn't part of the regular admissions process. So parents get two applications and two places and then have to decide which one to release. So we know that upto 60 places in the area are duplicated. For many having a temporary site for this school on Homestall Road September 2014 and then a permanent site on the former East Dulwich Police statino junction of Lordship Lane with Whateley Road September 2015 is too complicated for them.

Yesterday when I spoke with Harris they had several places.

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> Yesterday when I spoke with Harris they had

> several places.

Exactly. So there are not 60 families holding two offers, are there? Fewer than 60 families have offers, fewer still will be accepting them, as many will have had an alternative offer that they prefer. So my question to you again is, exactly how many families have been offered a place at Harris, and what is the minimum intake required to make it viable?

I am well aware of the admissions process to Harris. I have an offer there and would like this information to help me decide whether or not to accept it. I have to say the lack of transparency about this is very off-putting. Harris have categorically said they are oversubscribed which cannot be the case.

Thanks.

Thanks for responding re Harris, James. If that figure is correct, then that is reassuring. Apparently their business plan shows that, in the worst case scenario, it will still be financially viable with only 30 pupils on roll. Given the dire availability of schools in East Dulwich then I am sure they will easily fill it. Having met the staff involved, I am very positive that it will be an amazing opportunity for the lucky children who will be starting there in September, my son included.