Thoughts on Hollydale

Great school in many ways. Daughter is in reception and loves it. Sons went there too and did well. Small and has family atmosphere. Astonishingly supportive to families if the chips are down, for which I am hugely grateful as this year has been a tough one for our family due to sudden serious illness of my partner. New head is doing good things there, responding positively to rather less than glowing ofsted report in her first fortnight at the school. She is really focussing on further improving teaching and there are some dedicated parents putting in lots of effort and time into extra-curricular clubs. Amazing jewellery club last term for eg and gardening club starts next term. Has better than average wrap around care- breakfast and after school club. There are very good things happening at Hollydale and my perception is that children and parents are very happy with it.

I have two friends with children in reception and they are really happy in lots of ways. It was the school we were offered too but we ended up at St. John's and st Clements. I still wonder if we should have stayed put. I was a bit concerned about the space there, but the aforementioned friends don't seem to feel that's a problem now their kids are Ther. As Skegness says, it seems like good things are happening there.

Hello. I went to an open day and liked Hollydale. I was encouraged by the new head, small class sizes and the children I met. It really seemed on the up. The only reason I didn't put it on my list is because it was a bit far away, but I don't think I'd have been unhappy to have got it. Good luck.

I have another question. How does the 1.5 form entry work? I think that they split the classes into the youngest half and oldest half of the year. They then stream the children as they get to the older end of the school My son would be in the youngest half of the year.

Practically, how does it work? I don't really understand! Also, what are the downsides, particularly if you have a child in the younger half of the year?

I will call the school and ask them too, but was wondering if anyone with children at the school can shed some light on things in the meantime.

Thanks

Basically it works like this in theory:

reception 1: 23 rising 5s

reception 2: 22 rising 5s

year 1 = 30 youngest year 1 students

year 1/2 = 15 oldest year 1 students and 15 youngest year 2 students

year 2 = 30 oldest year 2 students

year 3 = 30 youngest year 3 students

year 3/4 = 15 oldest year 3 students and 15 youngest year 4 students

year 4 = 30 oldest year 4 students

year 5 = 30 youngest year 5 students

year 5/6 = 15 oldest year 5 students and 15 youngest year 6 students

year 6 = 30 oldest year 6 students.

So if you have a spring/summer born child they would go through the school as follows:

reception, year 1, year 1/2, year 3, year 3/4, year 5, year 5/6

And a autumn/winter born child would go:

reception, year 1/2, year 2, year 3/4, year 4, year 5/6, year 6

There is some mixing/joint teaching and streaming across classes, especially in SATs years (eg my twins, one of whom was in the yr 6 class and the other in 5/6, were taught together a lot in the same ability groups for literacy, maths and science during year 6 SATS. They also both starred in the year 6 leavers play- pride, pride!) and a system is in place so that children don't study the same stuff 2 years running.

On the whole it works well- child travels through school with 14 permanent classmates but there is new blood every year so there is a wider range of potential friends. None of the children is always the oldest or always the youngest in their class.

hth!

I have be dropping and collecting children from Hollydale for the past 13 years:-). My daughter, now 17, attended Hollydale , and really liked it, made lovely friends she is still close to. She had great teachers and left with the highest possible results:-), we never worried about the outside space. I have, as a childminder, continued to come to the school every morning and afternoon:-)

The new head is lovely, very welcoming and friendly. Met the new deputy head this week, who is very lovely, too.

I would not hesitate sending my child there if I had another (which I am not:-)).