Bessemer Grange!?

Hello fellow mums and dads!

My son has been offered a place at Bessemer Grange. My nearest school was Heber but we didnt get in, and he is currently at Goodrich nursery but didnt get in the either.

Was justing wondering if therea any parents of Bessemer school kids and how you find it there?

Any info would be much appreciated.

:-) x

It's a terrific school, lovely atmosphere, dedicated staff, striving for the best for every child, really good SATS results, good Ofsted. The Head is amazing and she and the senior team and all the teachers and TAs work incredibly hard to keep on improving. It's not that close to us geographically but it was my first choice for my son - now in year one - because when I visited I loved it the moment I set foot inside. My daughter has just been offered a reception place. Another thing they are good at is engaging parents in children's learning - they hold workshops to explain how phonics and maths are taught, with resources for parents to take home and use themselves. They also have a lot of space, with three separate playgrounds for different age groups. It backs onto JAGS playing fields, which they sometimes use. There is a nature garden across the road used by classes and also for PTA events. And there's a new building about to be built across the road for y5-6. Have you visited the school? There are tours every week. Do PM me if you'd like more info.

Ahhhhh :) thank you so much for this lovely positive message ... I also received a glowing PM saying wonderful things about the school. I was there last friday for an easter party and saw the nature garden while we did an easter egg hunt. I shall visit the school again too. Im so happy for this positive feedback. Thank you xx

After visiting 4 ED area schools, Bessemer was our first choice. Obviously its a very personal decision and i hope you are happy after getting a proper tour. Knowing it was likely to be where we ended up, I have been taking my daughter to the programs at its sure start centre. Perhaps you'll be able to do the same. They have various stay and play groups, would help you get a feel for the commute and the physical space. Every current parent i've spoken with have been very happy. ( although i found this to be true at all the ED area schools).

Our daughter got in last year through a last minute application, we had failed to achieve a place at any of our 6 preferences. I couldn't be happier that she is there now. We've had some difficulty with her settling and the teachers have been brilliant with helping her and me feel comfortable. I cant fault it, only wish it was closer to our house. Our daughter has calmed down a lot after having difficulties with her behaviour at preschool and is doing really well at Bessemer, loving the work and has made a million and one friends. Its a lovely community. Best of luck with your decision.

I have a yr 1 daughter at Bessemer and a son starting reception in Sept (he is currently at Bessemer nursery where he has positively flourished) - we could not be happier with the school because of all the above comments and more. It's a mile from our house but totally worth it. When we viewed our local schools it stood out a mile and has in no way disappointed. I'll be at the welcome picnic with my son Joe so hope to meet you there!

Another very happy Bessemer parent here. My daughter is in reception and LOVES it. It's quite a big school and she didn't know any other children when she started but she settled very quickly and hardly bothers to say goodbye as she runs off in the morning. We are also not close to the school but it's worth the treck and when we looked round primary schools I felt it was in a different league from the others we saw.

It has excellent leadership (head, deputy and head of early years all fantastic), lots of outdoor space, good holiday / breakfast / after school clubs, amazing school dinners and lots of very invloved and enthusiastic parents.

Another thumbs up for Bessemer!. It was our first choice last year for Sep 2013 entry but we never got any of our 6 choices, we stuck it out on Bessemers waiting list, starting off last April at 29th and then mid August we were offered a place and she started with all the others in September. She absolutely loves it and so do we as parents. We have our other daughter in the nursery there and she has flourished. Our little one will go down on the nursery waiting list later this year also!.

Good luck for September and enjoy the Picnic for new parents in June!