New Charter School, if you wish to offer your support please read .

I am posting this on behalf of Manny :

My name is Manny Amadi and I was a founder governor of The Charter School. At the time, my eldest child was just three, but I got involved because I believed strongly in the vision parents set out for an outstanding, inclusive school which would serve the needs of all children in our diverse local community. My eldest child is now in Year 13 at The Charter School and my youngest will start in year 7 in September. So it could be said that my journey is complete.

However, as my fellow governing body members and I look at the latest application figures for The Charter School, we can see that whilst 179 local families will also be delighted that their child will be starting their secondary school career at The Charter School in September, just as many will be disappointed that their child didn't secure a place with us.

The board of the Charter School Educational Trust now believes that for the first time, there is a viable way to meet the needs of many more local families. The Trust is therefore evaluating the option of making a bid to the Department of Education to run a free school, as part of the Charter family. The new school will serve the equally diverse community of East Dulwich.

In our many conversations with families over the years and through recent research, we are aware that the local community of East Dulwich is looking for a new secondary school that will:

* Serve the needs of the whole community by providing an exceptional educational experience

* Welcome all children who live close to the school

* Provide an environment where children are happy and feel safe and secure

* Offer outstanding outcomes - academically, culturally and personally

* Be financially secure and environmentally sustainable

These are all attributes currently provided by The Charter School. We are very focussed on ensuring that any bid for a new school equally takes into account the views of our diverse local community, whilst also explaining how we can realise our vision. To that end we are holding an Information Evening on 28 April from 6 - 8pm at The Charter School. If you would be interested in coming along please can you book a place by emailing [email protected].

If you would like to register your support for this vision, please could you email [email protected] with the following information - your name, post code, and your child's date of birth. If appropriate, please indicate that a school created on behalf of the community by The Charter School Educational Trust would be your first choice.

Yours faithfully,

Manny Amadi, MVO

Chair, New School Working Party - The Charter School Educational Trust

For more information including key questions and answers, please visit [email protected] - and click on Department for Education icon.

Can I ask where you think the new school would be located? I'm aware from other threads on the Forum that a group of parents are working with the Haberdashers Federation to set up a new school on the Dulwich Hospital site. Is the proposed new Charter school looking at the same site or a different one? It would seem ideal to have two schools on two sites rather than two bids for the same site, which could get messy?

I think there is potentially a demand for two good co-ed secondary schools locally, particularly if a site could be found that helps families on the East side of Lordship Lane to be in with a chance of getting in.

Thanks if you could clarify re proposed location.

Currently they are both looking at the same site, I agree that it wouldn't be a bad thing at all to have 2 secondary schools but I can't think of a plot of land large enough in ED aside from the hospital site.

Thanks Vik for your reply.

It's a shame to have two great providers in competition for one plot of land. I don't see how it benefits the local community to have this sort of contest. We all just want a great co-ed secondary school for our children. If two providers are bidding for one site, one of them will lose, and they will have wasted a lot of time and effort for nothing. Time and effort which is better spent on teaching children, I would have thought.

If there isn't a second potential site I'm not sure it's a good idea for Charter to put in a competitive bid, personally. If there is any chance at all of a second site then I'm absolutely behind it.

I think we have to blame the system , not The Charter School .

It allows a group of people to get together and start proceedings for a new school in the interests of expanding choice .

That group of people make a decision on which sponsor to go with . I'm sure they try to represent what they perceive people's wishes to be .

Personally I feel the process here was a little lacking in substance and transparency ,but that's just my view and it doesn't preclude my view that those parents involved acted with the best of intentions .

I think the steering group are trying to establish a school with a fair admissions process - banding as well as distance - so there is hope for those of us in the parts of ED that aren't close enough to Charter / the hospital site to get in by distance. This seems important to me, preventing house prices near the school(s) from inflating further. Whichever provider is successful I hope they have a fair admissions process.

Hi DulwichBornandBred, I've just seen this message from Manny Amadi as an email from the The Charter. I wouldn't have thought of putting it on the EDF but I suppose as sam puts it where would the new school be? Who would find/fund the teachers?

I do feel like I've not been keeping up with things going on with my Year 10 daughter recently, but after asking her tonight how her day back was after the Easter break I feel I must get back on top of things.

minder - the cost of the school - land ,building ,teachers salaries - will be paid for by the government with tax payers money .

The setting up of a new school can now be activated by a group of individuals who feel they need a new school near them . The curriculum and terms and conditions pay ,qualifications etc of staff employed can be determined by the sponsor chosen to run the school .

So pretty important stuff ,pretty important decision about who is to run the school .

It's not a competitive bid, Charter have an interest in the site as do Haberdashers, just because the steered group have decided Haberdashers is the school they are going with, does not mean it is a done deal, just that they have a group of people in their camp so to speak.

Teachers will not be being pulled from classrooms and pupils left un-taught to facilitate the bid.

Personally. I would just like for there to be a good secondary school locally, that is not another Harris and that is chosen fairly.

*Edited due to a mistaken comment re the involved schools admissions policies, clarified below.

Why are Charter suddenly interested in starting up a new school?....I am very suspicious of their sudden piggy backing of the hard work done by James Barber and other local parents to get a new school up and running. Today I was asked by a Charter canvasser if I thought the Haberdasher bid was politically motivated...if she means a councillor listening to the needs of families and galvanising support and a process to set one up, then yes, a councillor doing their job!

I was also told 'The Charter haven't had have much time' to propose a school....they've had years!

As a local parent I would like to have a choice of providers, I may choose Charter, I may choose Haberdashers or a school further away but at least I would have a choice.

It makes much more sense to me that if Charter wants to open a new school then they widen their net to a community that doesn't already have what they offer.

Vik - I thought Charter's admission policy was solely on safe walking distance ,giving priority to those who live closest to school . And I thought Haberdasher's was banded ? Have one of them changed ?

Edited to add - might be a sucking eggs situation here and if so apologies ,but bear in mind that what when we/most of us say Admissions Policy what we're refering to is the oversubscription polocy .

intexasatthe moment Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Vik - I thought Charter's admission policy was

> solely on safe walking distance ,giving priority

> to those who live closest to school . And I

> thought Haberdasher's was banded ? Have one of

> them changed ?

My mistake, I missed the point on banding, but for clarity (mine as much as anyone elses!) I have copy/pasted the criterias:

Haberdashers:

Th e Admission Criteria

The College operates a banding policy and will offer places as

per the admission criteria within each band.

When the secondary phase is oversubscribed, after the admission of

students in year 6 of the primary phase and pupils with statements

of special educational needs where the secondary phase is named in

the statement, priority for admission will be given to those children

who meet the criteria set out below, in priority order:

a) A ?looked after child? or a child who was previously looked after

but immediately after being looked after became subject to

an adoption, residence, or special guardianship order. A looked

after child is a child who is looked after by a local authority or

being provided with accommodation by a local authority in

the exercise of their social services functions, in accordance

with section 22 of the Children Act 1989 at the date of the

relevant application for admission is made.

b) 10% of the agreed admission number of students will be

admitted on the basis of aptitude in music, using a specified

assessment process, year 7 secondary transfer only.

c) Students for whom it is essential to be admitted to the

secondary phase because of special circumstances to do

with significant medical or social needs. The application will

need to be supported by a letter from a hospital consultant,

social worker or similar professional. The information should

demonstrate why the secondary phase is the only school

able to meet the child?s specific needs.

d) Students who, on the date of admission, will have an older

sibling (i.e. a natural brother or sister, or a half brother or sister,

or a legally adopted brother or sister or half-brother or sister,

or step brother or sister who will be living with them at the

same address at the date of their entry to the College) on the

roll of the secondary phase. Proof of the sibling relationship

will be required if a place is offered.

? Proof required: A copy of the child tax credit (CTC)

notification documentation or a child benefit (CB)

confirmation letter showing the parent(s) names and

address (which must be the same as the sibling on roll)

and the child[ren] who they are claiming for.

? Applicants who have a sibling in the Hatcham College

primary phase, Knights Academy or Crayford Academy

do not meet the sibling definition.

e) The remaining places will be offered to students with the

nearest distance measurement on the basis of proximity.

Home to College distance will be measured as the direct

line distance between the student?s home address to their

nearest node. Proof of residency will be required if a place

is offered.

The secondary phase will operate a dual nodal address point system.

The two nodal points will be the College?s main building entrance on

Pepys Road and the main building entrance on Jerningham Road.

The applicant?s address will be measured to their nearest node.

Charter:

ADMISSION ARRANGEMENTS TO THE CHARTER SCHOOL APPROVED BY THE SECRETARY of STATE.

Statement by the Admission Authority

Introduction

4. The Charter School was founded to serve the needs of families who live locally to the school and it reflects the character of the community surrounding the school.

5. All parents applying for a place at The Charter School must complete the Common Application Form from their local Authority.

6. The Charter School changed status on 6th September 2010 and is now an academy status school. The school first opened in September 2000 with a planned Year 7 entry of 180.

7. The Charter School has a Year 7 admission number of 180 pupils. The size of the school site and its buildings are not able to admit more than 180 students in any year group.

Procedures where The Charter School is oversubscribed.

Allocation of Places

8. The admissions criteria are published by the LA in the booklet ?Starting Secondary School?. This stipulates that if there are more applications than places to The Charter School, the school will allocate places in the following order of priority.

i) Children in public care (looked after children) or children who were looked after but ceased to be so because they were adopted (or became subject to a residence order or special guardianship order)

ii ) Children with exceptional medical, psychological or social needs which

mean that The Charter School is the most suitable school to best address

their needs

The evidence should come from at least two registered health professionals and

should set out the particular reasons why The Charter School is the most suitable

provision. This needs to include letters from two registered doctors, psychologists

or social workers, according to the stated medical, psychological or social need.

Families need to explain difficulties that would be caused if their child

had to attend another school. Any such applications will be dealt with on an

individual basis by the Admissions Committee of the school.

iii) Children who will have siblings attending the school at their time of entry*

iv) Children living nearest the school measured by the shortest safe walking distance**

In an instance where two applications cannot otherwise be separated (ie, a tie-breaker), the distance measured would continue into further decimal places to determine the closer address

9) In addition the admissions booklet makes clear that children with full statements of special educational needs are dealt with under a separate process by the special educational needs section. The Charter School has a provision for pupils with a statement of special educational needs for dyslexia and is particularly suitable for pupils with this statemented need. These applicants will have priority over the above criteria, in accordance with the arrangements made with Southwark LA.

10) After an offer of a place has been made, all applicants will be required to produce at least three pieces of documentary proof of residence which includes the council tax bill child benefit letter and utility bill. A copy of the short birth certificate is requested on acceptance of the place. The home address is the address at which the pupil lives permanently and full time as the principal residence. It does not include short term rental or lease. Failure to provide current proof of address to the school?s satisfaction will result in an offer of a place being withdrawn. Where a child has shared care and lives at more than one address the school is only able to accept one address. The documentary proof of residence as determined by the school must apply to this address. Sibling is defined as a blood related, legally recognised half, step, foster or adopted child living at the same permanent address.

11) The LA will write to the families of all applicants on 1st March giving details of the school to which the pupil has been allocated. Should a parent or career wish to appeal they should write to the Admissions Officer (Appeals) at The Charter School. An appeal against the refusal of a place must be made to the Admissions Officer (Appeals) within 20 school days of the date of the refusal letter from the LA. Appeals against and admissions decision are heard by an impartial panel in line with the DfE Code of Practice on School Admissions Appeals as it applies to academies. The

Admissions Officer will send the appeals to the Clerk to the Appeals who will inform appellants of their rights of appeal and the appeal procedures. The determination of the appeal panel is binding on all parties.

Bit harsh mariababe .

Many school websites lack clear detailed information . Hardly surprising that people get information from picking things up from word of mouth/on line forums .

I'm sure if one looks at the two schools admissions policies ( as opposed to oversubscription ) there are more similarities than differences - looked after children etc .

mariababe Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> We need facts here please don't post what you know

> nothing about

>

> - Habs use a banding system (as all Lewisham

> schools)

> -Charter do not

>

> This is NOT the same admissions criteria

Woah! I made a mistake, I corrected that, and in my original post I stated 'from my understanding.'

To acuse me of posting on something I know nothing about is slightly bizarre when you don't know me.

Calm down, I have read so much crap on here and now am sick of it its finally broken this camels back...that's all

You did post incorrectly I have no need to know who you are to know that

And your opinion texas means nothing as all you have done is stir and stir it all up again..i am bored by it all FACT

Hey I'm as calm as they come, I am well aware I posted incorrectly, hence I corrected it and explained that.

You assumed I was posting on something I 'know nothing about.' Without knowing me you cannot presume to know what I know or do not know about.

If you're strugging so much with the concept of discussion, where people have opinions and make mistakes, I suggest you refrain from online discussion forums.

I just saw James Barber's post on the other thread about Haberdashers where he says that the council asked Charter to set up a school in the north of the Borough but they said no. Not sure where the other site is that the council were referring to.

I think it would be great for Southwark children if this was not a competitive bid, and, knowing lots of parents in the North of the borough who are VERY worried about secondary schools I would have thought it would be something that would be welcome all round if a site could be identified there too.

I agree dontpanic. Haberdashers were chosen by a group of parents who did some hard work to identify the best provider and they have cross party support. It seems like sour grapes to me for Charter to try and go for the land that Haberdashers are also going for, especially if there is another site that Charter could go for.

This is quite offensive. The Charter School has an excellent added value and has a very mixed intake. Haberdasher's Askes (the one that hasn't failed its OFSTED) meanwhile, does select for example by supposed musical ability. Many feel that such a test is elitist. There is a huge amount of estate at the back of the Charter School and though agreed it benefits from being so close to Dulwich Village, many who live there do not have school age children and/or send their children privately. The whole point of expanding the school is to increase the catchment and take more children from the area. Many feel the ideal is to be able to walk to a local school after all.