Info needed on local Breast feeding support groups

Hi

Can anyone recommend some local BF support groups?

I'm due my second baby in July so don't require yet but want to get prepared!

I had a terrible time breast feeding my first, she kept loosing weight so midwife insisted on combination feeding (which ended up mainly formula) from 2 weeks old.

Would love to give it another go with a bit more success (& I'll be more relaxed this time round) !!

X

There's one that meets in Peckham library (unsure which day, sorry). If memory serves, two midwives run it along with breast feeding advisors and the midwives are trained to check for tongue tie and refer to the tongue tie clinic.

I also went to a great nct advice group held in clapham south- a bit far out of area but it really was very good and that was where I was really helped to get through some incredibly painful damage. I can't recall the address off the top of my head but it was held in a church hall. I think it may have moved now, but if you google it should come up.

As Strawbs said above HV and midwives should have an up to date list too.

SEnewbie I was in exactly the same position as you with my first. She was breastfed exclusively and was not gaining weight at all her clinic appointments. I was hounded by midwives and health visitors for choosing to breastfeed over formula feed in my situation but I knew she was fine just not hitting NHS targets. I struggled for 8 long weeks before I found out about Peckham breastfeeding cafe, what an absolute god send. Without them I would of given up. Within 2 weeks I was feeding confidently, my daughter was happy, I was reassured about the lower range weight gain being normal. I ended up breastfeeding exclusively for 6 months and then continued for 2 years. I highly recommend you see the midwives, HV and support workers at Peckham cafe.

It runs 10-12 (turn up before 11.30am) on a Thursday mornings. 5th floor of the library. Out the lift and to your right, along the corridor in to a suspended pod.

I assure you, whatever your issues they will support you with all their dedication and passion. Best to arrive early as it is hugely popular, not just with Southwark residents!

Best of luck and stay positive. xxxxx

Peckham Library gets very busy, but The Grove on Tower Mill Road near Burgess Park is a much more cosy group. I used to volunteer as a peer support councellor untill I had to go back to work on Tuesdays. It's 1pm-3pm Tuesdays, and Vanessa (the midwife) and Kathryn (peer support) are lovely. I'd really reccommend it. I had a similar problem to you and although I did combination feed for a while, the support I had from the cafes helped me to keep going and eventually cut out the formula.

BF cafes run on the following days in Southwark.

Monday: Albrighton Community Centre 10-11:30

Tuesday: The Grove Childrens' centre 1-3

Wednesday: Southwark Park Play room,Hawkstone Road 10-11:30

Thursday: Peckham Library (5th Floor), 10-11:30

Friday: Ellen Brown children centre, Grange Road, 10-11:30

I've attached a file with full details, but PM me if you can't access it or need any other info.

Best of luck

Lynn.