Fairlawn Nursery - Proposed Change in Hours

Apologies if not directly related to East Dulwich, but I think that a lot of parents whose children go to Fairlawn Nursery may use this forum.

If your child is continuing at Fairlawn Nursery or starting in September 2014, you should have received a letter regarding a proposed change in their schedule offering.

It may be that these changes are fine with you, BUT, if you disagree with or are adversely affected by the proposals, please do write to the Head of School (Hania Ryans) to voice your objections.

The letter says it is a consultation with parents, but there is no option to disagree with the change!

thank you

Cross posted to SE23 forum.

We have written a couple of drafts so far: our daughter started earlier this year and has done 1 1/2 terms of 5, there are a number of things we are unhappy with - the morning hours are challenging with no time for settling in & a drop off at another school required at 9am, no full day in preparation for longer school days in reception, the lack of 'consultation' or alternatives to the 5 morning/afternoon pw and finally the letter about longstanding personnel changes that came out on Friday.

My elder child thrived but I was already concerned younger child would out grow the nursery setting and not get the full growth/simulation she requires over 5 terms and half days only raises this more.

Keen to hear more from parents in a similar situation.

Interesting- so did Fairlawn do full days and are moving to only half days? Other local schools are I hear going the other way- did do only half days but now can do full. Have they explained the reason behind the changes?

Hi trevnsarah

Yes, my situation is very similar to yours: the morning times would make it impossible to get my older son to his school, the afternoon times make it impossible to fetch my younger son on time. Besides the lack of actual consultation, the notice has come very late in the school year. I had been on another nursery waiting list (just laziness, forgot to take my son's name off), and was recently offered a place, but refused it because he'd settled so well at Fairlawn.

katgod,

the current offering at the nursery is 4 half days (2.5 hours a day, am or pm), and 1 full day). The proposal is to switch to half days only (3 hours). As trevnsarah noted, a full day is a great preparation for reception. And the morning and afternoon kids get to mix with each other in a slightly less familiar environment. Plus I assume that parents have organised their work hours with the full day in mind.

I would say that the reasons given in their letter for the change are not clear.

I am going to write to Ms Ryans too. I thought very carefully about nurseries as not only does it have to be a good, caring nursery, which Fairlawn is, but I have to make it fit in with my older child (who I will no longer be able to drop off) and with mine and my partners working hours. I would have chosen another nursery altogether had these hours been proposed before we started. I have been really happy with the nursery provision but now I'm not beginning to see why Fairlawn gets such bad ratings on the parent view part of Ofsted.

I am personally pleased with a change to 3 hrs a day as the old set up seemed too short with only 2.5hrs and the full day disproportionately long. Also making packed lunch is a pain. However, I know what a nightmare logistics and working can be so from that point of view it is short notice.

I am just in the middle of writing a letter. I am really annoyed that this is being implemented after offer letters (1 full day & four half days) have already gone out and without proper consultation (the letter is not asking for thoughts, we are being asked to choose a time). A member of staff told me that nursery staff were not even informed about these changes, despite asking before offer letters went out, until the day before the letter from Hania Ryans went out. I think that is very worrying.

My older children are at Horniman and start at 8.50 & I also have a child with SEN which makes it very hard for me to drop off any earlier, I am coming from the opposite direction. I may have made different nursery choices had I been informed.

Sorry my post was meant to say I can see why it gets bad parent ratings, particularly for organisation. I have been so happy with the nursery but I am pretty amazed that the school treats parents with such a lack of respect

Just to add, I feel that letting us know this late in the school term is also a very deliberate move, it's being rushed through. This is not the way to introduce a significant change and not to consult parents who were under the impression they were getting different hours is appalling.

Fleurie - I feel the same, the nursery is brilliant with really great staff. I was astonished to find out that even they were kept in the dark. This to me shows complete disregard for them too as well as the parents. It is not right to do something like this without any sort of warning. If this is proposed then that's what it should be within a more reasonable timescale. They should carry out proper consultation and parents should be made aware way ahead of the proposed implementation.

I have also cc'd my letter to the chair if governors, Robyn Fairman.

My partner and I viewed this nursery and loved it but ultimately decided not to take the place offered to our daughter because the hours were not workable. During the tour of the nursery the staff member who showed us around mentioned that they were considering changing the hours as they had been unable to fill all available spaces the previous year and had therefore received less government funding. They were interested in understanding what hours would be more amenable to families with two working parents. I was surprised when we received the offer letter and the hours listed were unchanged from previous years and now very surprised to learn that they've changed the hours with apparently no consultation process. The new hours on offer certainly are not favourable to the working parents in this household and it appears not favourable to working parents in most households. It's a shame it appears they didn't bother to ask anyone before making this change, particularly after offer letters went out, but this seems consistent with the quality of nursery management I've endured to date. It would be amazing if in addition to quality childcare a nursery could possess even a tinge of business acumen.

what are the new proposed change in hours? we viewed the nursery about a month ago for possible start in 2015, so would be great to know what new hours are. We also have a older daugther starting reception in September (at another school but on waiting list for Fairlawn).

Hi,

just to update those who are unaware: received a letter from Ms Ryans saying that the hours will remain unchanged for children continuing / starting September 2014. I.e. 2.5 hours 4 days a week, 1 full day.

For September 2015, discussions will be opened with those parents affected regarding any changes to the times.

Very relieved, as my son loves the nursery!