Minecraft?

Apparently my son (7.5) is "the only boy in the whole wide world who doesn't play it, and it's just NOT FAIR".

Tiring of the constant nagging I've just had a look to see what it's all about - our computer is on it's last legs so ideally he would play via an iPad. In the App Store there seem to be all sorts of different Minecraft options and I can't quite work out which one I need? Is it even possible to play it properly on a tablet?

I'm assuming it's an offline game? Not sure I'm too comfortable with online gaming at his age.

Any advice from seasoned Minecraft parents welcomed. Thanks!

Take a deep breath. Minecraft is like a hurricane that will leave your life shaken to its foundations.

My children were introduced to it when they were about eleven and its grip has, if anything, tightened. Oh, the arguments it has caused, but oh, the fun too, my kids would add.

We started out with an old(ish)computer. Ideally you's want something with more RAM for it to work best and/or a separate graphics card. That said, my three manage with 4-6GB RAM. They are not impressed with the tablet version of it, but say it would probably be okay for younger children because it's a simplified version of the game.

Beware the chat function that comes with it. My kids learned all kinds of swear words and picked up some badass habits. The chat bar can be disabled, though. If you don't know any older kids yourself, I am happy to lend you mine to show you/your son how it works.

My ten-year old son, an avid Minecrafter advises that you buy an APP called Minecraft PE (pocket edition)which costs ?4.99 and is made by Mojang. He says with this you can play on your ipad, iphone, tablet etc.

Like Medusa, my son advises that in the longer term your son will want to play it on a computer. This is because there is more flexibility via a computer. Apparently "you can't build contraptions with redstone on a tablet/iphone" and "because you can't access the 'mini-games".

(Minigames are spin-off, multiplayer games that all the boys we know spend inordinate amounts of time either playing or more bafflingly watching YouTube videos of other kids playing these games online.)

Thank you both for taking time to reply. Sounds like the tablet version might be fine for now, I'll see how he gets on. We will buy a new laptop eventually at which point he could switch to playing on the computer. Good tip about the chat function, will make sure that's off!

I find the obsession intriguing, as from what I've seen of it, it's very basic in terms of graphics. Looks like an old fashioned computer game! Might download the app without him knowing and have a look myself before letting him loose.

Pickle, he is not alone. We don't have it. My kids have not played it and are doing OK. I found the endless options a bit of a barrier and could not decide what to do so never got round to buying it. My youngest, who you know well, goes a bit weird when he is playing computer games. I think they tap into an addictive part of his personality and he cannot take or leave them. Tantrums start when he is asked to come off them. Another reason for me deciding not to bother. Not saying your son will be like this though of course :-) Just wanted to let you know that we don't have it either.

Goodliz, that's good to know. C can be similar in terms of games (and TV too), so I restrict tablet time and he seems to understand it's a privilege, not a right.

Straferjack, interesting, thanks. Will do some research.

My daughter is 5, she plays via the iPad, iPhone or Xbox. It has got to a point now that is drives me insane. All she talks about is minecraft, all she does is minecraft. This is a serious minecraft addiction. We have minecraft tantrums, minecraft dreams, minecraft happy dances, minecraft lessons, minecraft rules and a lot of pure minecraft geekery. The amount she knows completely baffles me, the minecraft genius.

Can you tell I'm minceraft-waashed, I dare not count how many times I've just said it in ONE post!

Yes, my kids argue that it is 'creative and educational'. In fact one of my sons has found ways of doing his Year 8 homework on Minecraft: designing a place of worship. I can see the appeal of it.

The Minecraft mania has forced me to impose screentime limits, though, so as to reduce the compulsive quality of the whole thing. I know my children are more obsessive than most, but this seems to affect most kids who play, especially the boys. (Feminist-Medusa dies a little inside.)

There's a free version for iPad which will give a good intro - I downloaded that first in case it was all a flash-in-the-pan. The ?4.99 version has more features.

My 7 year old girl has loved it for about a year and its open-ended, creative nature makes it more interesting than other games. It has a 'survival' mode but she prefers the 'creative'. Think of it as a massive Lego set on a tablet. There are lots of videos on YouTube which show what the game can do.

My girls are both pretty obsessive about getting on the iPads but I've found if there's an interesting real life alternative on offer - swimming, bike ride, park, meeting up with real people - they can be prised away from the tablets. And as for flights, long car journeys, early mornings - thank you Steve Jobs.

I agree Minecraft can be very compelling, but I have noted she has lost interest in the last month or so. As with everything (particular TV shows, that revolting film about the rat that cooks, Ratatouille) she has got bored of it, I suspect. Now if anyone knows how to stop her obsessing about owning a horse, and her sister from watching Frozen again and again and again, please let me know!

Agree that technology has it's uses, as frequent flyers to NZ with 3 kids we make the most of it, but I am pretty strict on limiting screen time.

If I had the choice, I would prefer them to be quietly playing games than singing bl**dy "Let it Go". That's pure torture.

Pickle Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If I had the choice, I would prefer them to be

> quietly playing games than singing bl**dy "Let it

> Go". That's pure torture.

Oh my God, ^^^ This!!!!!!

SJ Likes that too by the way, so take his advise with a pinch of salt ;-)

There are loads of YouTube vids by Stampy Longnose, give you an idea of it. He is a gamer who basically plays it for a living. Really safe, got a big following and was even on breakfast telly this week. My son used the pocket edition too. I find it pretty creative, compared to others. Good luck.

My 8 year old son has been playing it for several months now and is totally engrossed by it! I agree about the creativity and educational values. Kids are always going to be playing some computer game or other these days and I prefer this than some of the alternatives out there.

Ultimately we try and limit the time he plays and for those wondering, he does manage to fit it in with swimming, football, flute, homework and the occasional conversation at breakfast. The thing to watch out for are the Youtube video demo's. Some do contain language not quite suitable for his age. It's not explicit and I'm sure he hears much worse at school but you do need to keep an ear out. Incidentally I read worse in a Charlie Higson book he picked up in the children's section at the library and was kindly pointed out to me by his teacher. Oops!

He's also read several Minecraft books which I've looked at and they are brilliantly constructed on many levels. He doesn't rate the ipad version and plays it on an old MacBook mostly in constructor mode or one to one with a school friend.

Mine obsessed too. Play on ipad. 10 year old seems happy with that. he plays survival while despite best feminist efforts daughter builds hotels and houses and furnishes them. Much prefer to other games we have tried and then uninstalled. Have read an article about how some schools use it as learning aid.

Thanks for enlightening me as to what Minecraft is!! Passing a bookshop the other day my daughter said 'Oh, look, Mi..ne..cr..aft!!! in that 'oh how wonderful, I want one' kind of way. I asked her what Minecraft was. She couldn't tell me!!

Kind of confirms the 3 kids playing it, everyone talking about it point!!