Dulwich Wood Primary/Langbourne Primary

There is a talk that it is on the up. The council is spending money on an upgrade as there is simply no other school for that part of Dulwich. I am personally not convinced that failing schools need investments in new buildings. I'd rather it went into improving teaching. The new head came from a similar school in Reading so presumably he made some difference there. Their last inspection (where they were rated good) was in 2012 and when it came to children levels they seemed to be below average throughout but getting to average at the end of year 6. I talked to somebody who went to the school quite some time ago and was local and they were full of praise for gentle and arty environment. If I was looking for a childcare setting I would've liked it but as a school I am not convinced.

• 3 weeks later...

We recently moved from East Dulwich to Upper Sydenham but decided to see out the academic year at Heber and find a place for our daughter to start Year 4 in September.

I rang Dulwich Wood and spoke to one of the deputies, Helen Jary, who could not have been more helpful/enthusiastic. She offered to show me round; I went to visit it and was very impressed.

Unlike Heber (490 kids crammed into an outgrown space, 2 class intake - except the current Year 3, which has an extra bulge class, up to 30 children per class), there are just 180 children there. Reception and Year 1 are two class intake, but the other years have just one class. My daughter will be joining a class of just 24 children. There's plenty of outdoor space for playing (including a fenced area for ball games) and they have chickens (which the children look after).

The school is right next door to Kingsdale and they use their music hall performances (and have students that come in to teach drumming etc).

The head Mr Lovall joined in 2013 and has introduced a zero-tolerance policy on bad behaviour along with a house system (complete with Hogwarts-style sorting hat). His aim is to improve the current (2012) Ofsted report which is Good and get an Outstanding at the next inspection. It certainly feels like a school on the up with lots of energy and a good vibe.

I visited classes of each age group (except years 5 and 6 who were on school trips). The children were well behaved and fully engaged. And there was a good proportion of adults (teachers, TAs, SEN support) with each group.

All in all, I think my daughter will love it, enjoy it there and do very well. I was invited to take her in for a visit...and yes, she loves it and can't wait to start. Roll on September.