Festivals - Do you take your children to them?

I go to lots of festivals with the kids and they love them. But I choose really carefully. Basically, the smaller the better. My basic rule of thumb is I won't take the kids to any festival where they have a beer tent. Beer tents mean crowds of drunk people, and that's just not that much fun with kids. We stick to small, family friendly festivals which are probably too small to get an alcohol licence and are full of yoga/arty/clean living types.

I appreciate some people might think that's not really going to a festival, but my feeling is, if you want to go to a party festival both you and the kids would have a better time if they didn't go!!!

Try Tribal Earth.

Surely a beer tent is essential (for the parents of the small children?)

I love it - take my three to Latitude (Suffolk) every year and its a great experience, v kid friendly. Kids not allowed at some though e.g. V Festival, and for me Glastonbury is too big/too much sclepping about. Pick carefully and you'll be fine.

We took our first daughter to WOMAD when she was only about 15 months, and it was fine, we had a lovely weekend.

I wouldn't go to a festival that I really wanted to go to to see particular bands, because I know I'd end up disappointed and pissed off.

And there's no way I'd go to any festival at the moment, because at nearly 3 and 5, they would just be too difficult to manage / keep and eye on / not lose. It would be a hellish weekend of stress. (I'm only thinking of my wayward children here, they are a nightmare for running off)

Like the idea of doing it again when they're a bit older.

Otta Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> We took our first daughter to WOMAD when she was

> only about 15 months, and it was fine, we had a

> lovely weekend.

>

> I wouldn't go to a festival that I really wanted

> to go to to see particular bands, because I know

> I'd end up disappointed and pissed off.

>

> And there's no way I'd go to any festival at the

> moment, because at nearly 3 and 5, they would just

> be too difficult to manage / keep and eye on / not

> lose. It would be a hellish weekend of stress.

> (I'm only thinking of my wayward children here,

> they are a nightmare for running off)

>

> Like the idea of doing it again when they're a bit

> older.

Little Saff is 4 yo, and I'm finding this age really hard to manage for these types of activities. I took her to small festivals when she was a baby/toddler, and it was ok. I took her to a festival last year, and she had a great time -- but I really struggled. No matter how family friendly the 'family' areas are at festivals, I can always find a few people up to naughty things!

And even once your children are a bit older and you can leave them for a bit at a festival without worrying about them getting lost, then you have to worry about other things...

--

I'm balking at the idea of taking her this year. My friends are split down the middle. Some always take their kids, some never do.

I went to a heavy metal festival and there were young kids there- they do have a 'quiet' field. A man had his child (about 4 years old) on his shoulders and the child had ear defenders on. We were all tipsy and having a laugh and letting off lots of steam (and this included swearing) and the stupid man gave me a filthy look when I used the f word at one point- what does he think these type of events are for?

saffron, i understand! imho I would never take kids to a "proper" festival as there are too many people and my kids run off, plus someone somewhere will always be having a bit too much of a good time....just as they should as it is a festival!

it's a change of mindset i know, but a really small hippy festival is wonderful. at tribal earth i let the kids run off on their own. there is only one field so they can't get lost. and no beer tent or other substances around. try and go with another couple so you can take turns to babysit in the evening.

We've taken our 6yo to festivals since she was 1yo but only small ones - Green Man, Port Elliot, End of the Road. However, given the choice I would leave her with Granny so the evenings are easier (none of our festival friends have kids so my OH and I never get to spend an evening together). The days are great and she absolutely loves it, which is why I get over-ruled on the Granny option.

This year we are going to End of the Road but none of our festival friends are going. This means that we will have to go out on our lonesome to see the evening bands, not ideal really.

We did our first family festival last year (kids were then 3yrs and 9 months) This year we plan to do 3 plus at least one other camping trip!

Take a look at the festival kidz website for lots of reviews, tips and to find somewhere that would be right for you

(disclaimer - I'm hopefully reviewing one of the festivals for them this year, but not paid by them or anything)

http://www.festivalkidz.com/

We went to Beautiful Days in Devon last year, medium sized music festival, we didn't see much of the bands but loads of kids activities and entertainment, the girls had a wonderful time (as did we). blog post about it here: http://southwarkbelle.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/my-first-family-festival.html

This year my now 4 year old and I went to Feast in the Woods which is a glorious, tiny little "festival" no bands just camping in the woods, campfires, kids entertainment and a lake to swim in, lovely, we've booked for next year already! http://southwarkbelle.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/blog-awards-pox-and-camping-solo-with.html

This year we are definitley also all going to Just So festival which is entirely for kids and hopefully some more too.

I'm not really very hippy dippy but so far I've actually found it all pretty relaxing, At beautiful days they could go from one entertainment to the next from the moment they woke up until they eventually passed out in the buggy/sling the only stress was choosing how to fit everything in.

Most festivals will have a family camping area away from everyone else which is quieter and where the kids can find new friends.

Is it really a festival with no beer/bands?*

I think I'd rather pluck my eyelashes out one-by-one than camp in the woods with a bunch of children, no alcohol, and no bands for a weekend. Then someone still has to do all the laundry when you get home! But to each their own of course. xx

*Isn't that just called 'camping' or a 'retreat'????

The woods one I mentioned did have a cider barn btw, no bands, it was a food festival, clues in the name

When we got to the one last year (lots of beer and bands) I just realised how much stuff there is for little ones and decided I'll just focus on that for a few years. Can go back to grown up festival behaviour once they are old enough to wander off to the teen area and get drunk without me.

If you have small kids and want bands, beer and no kids, perhaps just don't take the kids?

We are taking 18 month old to Isle Of Wight this weekend in a VW campervan and have some VIP hosp passes so I'm hoping it won't be horrendous. Not really bothered about the line up. I will report back and let you know. One thing I haven't sorted is a sling / carrier for him!!! Any offers MUCH appreciated x will be leaving the buggy at home

hey lucyannejames, unless your 18m old is very light, you may wish to reconsider leaving the buggy at home. The buggy is very useful for naps and carrying baby stuff. Although a standard buggy is tricky on the mud of course - we managed to pick up a cheap second hand 3 wheeler which served us well for a couple of years of festivals. I think you will find things a whole lot easier if you have wheels.