Best potty for boys

I'm sure this subject has been covered in depth so apologies in advance.

Title explains it all.

I also remember reading somewhere on EDF about a potette for out and about?

I'd quite like a potty 'seat' to put on the main loo. Are these good? Do they work? Are they instead of a potty?

Thanks in advance

A

I bought three potties when potty training my son - a Peppa Pig one from Mothercare (his choice), a swish one which was about ?20 and a ?2 basic red number from IKEA.

No prizes for guessing that the only one he ever ended up using was the IKEA one. So, don't spend too much as your son will probably want to use the most basic one (the IKEA one also has a nice high front - important with boys).

We have also got the Baby Bjorn toilet insert seat and it is really good. It adjusts to fit on any size seat. We have it on a hook next to the loo and my son puts it on himself when he wants to go. I got it on Amazon.

The Pottete has also been very useful for using the loo when out. It folds down and fits in your nappy bag or under the buggy. I could never really get on with the bags you are supposed to use with it, but haven't actually really needed to use them anyway. We recently took it on a 3 week holiday and my son used it all the time without any problems.

Hope that helps.

x

Ps, we used combination of potty and seat until my son was confident enough, and had enough bladder control, to make it upstairs to use the loo. We then stopped using the potty. The potty was useful when we started as we could keep it in whatever room we were in, so we could usually make it before any accidents happened.

Really helpful.

Thanks Bonfire.

And another question.

He is nearly 18 months. Saying poo poo, then squatting in his nappy and doing a poo. I think he might be doing the same for wee. I think definitely time to introduce the potty to him but too early to attempt training proper?

x

My son started off with a potty - I got a nice sturdy one called a "Pourty" which you can easily pour the contents of down the loo, and then moved on to a padded seat which went on the loo, and now he just goes straight on the loo. I have the potty and seat which I would be happy to pass on for a small contribution if you would like them. I also have a potette (portable potty) which I used for my daughter but found I didn't need for my son.

Hi ACBP

If he's showing a bit of an interest you could start by leaving the potty out so he can see it and get used to the idea of it. He'll lead the way and the most important thing is not to push it or he may be put off. My son didn't show any interest at all until at least 2 1/2, then we had a few regressions (most notably when I became visibly pregnant with my second son) but it all finally clicked with him at about 3 years old. He still has the odd accident but I think that's to be expected.

Another vote for the IKEA potty. Also relatively pleasing on the eye so to speak. We have a Tippie Toes seat for the loo, bought off Amazon for a fiver. It is nice and sturdy and incredibly good value for money. A friend of mine has a kiddyloo seat, i.e. a seat with steps attached, they are great but quite pricey.

We have the Pourty too. In fact we have 3 of them (only one toilet which means no downstairs loo and none on the same floor as my son's bedroom).

They're sturdy and we opted for having all the same so as to avoid one style being preferred over the others. East to empty and relatively high at the front so as to avoid splashes/spray.

As for timing, we started relatively late and just waited until we were sure he was ready. It wasn't foolproof and when he started nursery a shirt time later he had a regression, as he has done at other times (like on return to nursery after long Christmas break).

The one we used the most was bought in a TK Maxx. It just had everything we needed and the insert made it really easy to wash. It had a very wide base which eliminated spills when my son was getting up and an insert was not round but very oval in shape. I've heard somewhere that boys are late at potty training because the majority are trained by women. So after getting daddy on board we got the peeing business out of the way (standing). You would need a low step for that though. I didn't enjoy washing poo though so we quickly transferred to a cushy toilet seat I got on an NCT sale. Now he just copies his older friends and somehow balances on a normal seat. We are very lucky to have a downstairs loo though. Hitting the loo bowl would actually need a lot of practice so make sure that there is nothing near your loo and prepare to clean it a lot more.