Best video monitor/apnea mat?

Hi all,

We had a regular BT monitor for our older daughter. However our second little girl was born early and when she comes home I know I'll want a video monitor and possibly an apnea mat. Can anyone recommend a video monitor before we spend a ridiculous amount of money on one that's rubbish? It needs to have enough range for a Victorian house, hopefully including from the loft to the ground.

Thank you!

Ask in the NICU before you go home. For what it's worth, we were advised against getting either kind. However the consultant did say that they recommend them in other circumstance s so they will likely know what type to recommend.

@ hellosailor - not medically warranted given our child's condition and would not be conducive to a return to normal family life. Our consultant thought it would only serve to increase/enable my anxiety about leaving my child out of sight, and that there was no reason to need that level of monitoring. It is clearly very case specific. My point was more that the NICU is a good place to get a recommendation for what monitor will suit your needs once you are home.

Thanks all. I'll reconsider the apnea mat (or at least wait till discharge to decide if we need it). The video monitor will be useful anyway - else I'll probably keep running upstairs to check on her which will make me more anxious! Plus I intend to use white noise with her as well, and with my older girl we could only hear loud cries (which we could also hear without the monitor!).

The Summer Infant range looks great (and very expensive!) - will have a look on eBay or Gumtree, thank you.