What makes a good Playgroup?

I help run a local Playgroup. We were thinking of ways we could improve it. What do you think makes a good group? Have you seen anything that works well. Do they have stipulations regarding over subscription? How to they organise teas/coffees/clearing up? Any ideas welcome.

It is voluntary and we do not have a huge budget..

(Mrs) mikeb

Good question:)

I've been to lots over the years.

1. offer tea and coffee- some do it at a set time other don't. Health snack for the kids fruit and the not so healthy biscuit. Perhaps encourage parents to bring things in to share??

2. Have a range of activites- so a colouring table,play dough, a seasonal craft of the week? Singing and maybe a story? Activity centre has lots of printable sheets and pre-school craft ideas. Stiener groups have a parents/carers communal craft activity- I love it:)

3. Have a signing in book and perhaps a registration form? Personally I think ?1/2 entry is fine- ?3/4/5 is a bit steep??

4. Have a visible healthy eating, gentle discipline, active play policies, So that there is a cluster of values the play group can work within. I went to a group recently that didn't seem to have these, and I could feel and see it; children eating sweets, forceful disciplining of young children.

5. I find groups of parents can become cliquey. I bet there are lots of reasons why; but i think the organisers need to try to gently counter act. So recognising the first timer and being a friendly face.

6. Include active play and outside if possible. I personally think it is unreasonable to expect young children to sit still for long periods

Anyway my young one is calling, more later xx

Crystal palace one o'clock club was for me the best of the bunch. It did a lot of what is outlined above, the things I really liked were:

Tea coffee available to buy

Painting really well done with lots of paper, a drying rack, overalls

Activities changed half way through- some not all, so duplicate put away and cars put out. Kept it interesting.

Also like places with more messy/craft/different stuff that I can't or won't do at home.

Hope that helps