Has anyone been to Lucca?

Inkman, Inkspawn and I will be making our way to Elba via Pisa this summer and we wanted to spend a couple of days in Lucca. Does anyone have any recommendations for places to stay, eat and play? Or any thoughts on other areas nearby that are worth a visit?

I haven't been for a long time (12 years or more) so no recent or family-related recommendations, but Lucca is beautiful - easily accessible by bike as well as foot if I remember as correctly. Other local areas worth seeing are San Gimignano - gorgeous small town and if you get the chance then Siena is absolutely stunning - IMO it's like Florence but much much better, the Campo is gorgeous and the city has amazing churches and Renaissance art of course. Pisa itself is very touristy but there is lovely countryside close by.

Have fun!

Hello,

My husband is from Lucca, so we are there a lot. If you like ice cream even a tiny bit then you MUST go to La Bonta which is outside the walls, but well known as the best gelateria there. Order the bontanella ice cream. Lush. No seats but benches outside or just sit in the car with the air con on as space outside to park. For lunch/dinner Il Mecenate on via del fosso - it has very typical Lucchese food and we have taken our baby there a few times. The owner is really into his wine so let him help you and the house stuff is great too. For something off the beaten track and more special try Vigna Ilaria near pieve Santo Stefano.

In vicolo Buio there is a pizzeria called Pizzeria de Francesco? They do amazing pizza by the slice, but try and get there early enough for the cecina which is like a chickpea pancake.

Everywhere is kid/baby friendly we have never had a problem. I have stood outside on pavement bars with the buggy past 10pm - so refreshing.

For trips out try Volterra, Vinci, Garfagnana and Barga (may be cooler there if you need to escape the humidity)

Sorry no recommendations on hotels etc as we obviously never need one.

Have fun!