Bad Skin Post Baby... Tips!?

Hi,

7.5 months after giving birth I still have spots on one side of my face (weird!). They started at about 20 weeks pregnant and everyone said they would go away after the birth but they just got worse. I have tried taking vitamins, using different products etc - some things work a little for about a fortnight then my skin seems to "get used" to it and not get better.

I am just doing two boob feeds a day with the bubs now, but I think if I go to the GP he will just tell me to go away until I stop feeding him, even though I think my skin got slightly worse when I reduced boob feeds.

I feel as if I am being punished for going through my teenage years with lovely clear skin.

Is it a hormonal thing? Suggestions much appreciated as although I wouldn't change anything for the world, it's starting to annoy me now whenever I catch myself in the mirror.

Thanks!

Ps. I have a mostly healthy diet and drink all manner of herbal teas instead of fizzy drinks etc. Do like the occasional tipple though.

I had the same thing too! My LO is 2.5 years old now and I think I've finally got my skin back to the way it is, if not better. I basically had to change everything, my cleanser/moisturiser etc., my eating habits and drink lots more water. I'm assuming its hormonal?

I have really battled with mine since I had my 3rd baby (she's 2.5 now). I went to the GP and was prescribed Duac gel, which although pretty harsh, has done a good job of clearing up the worst of it. I now just use it when I need it, which tends to be in line with my cycle.

Having tried all sorts of cleansers, I'm now using good old Clean and Clear, and a very basic Nivea moisturiser, and my skin is better than it's been for years.

Thanks for suggestions, I will try drowning myself in water for a while and see if that works. As I would prefer not to go down laser route right now. When you say you changed your eating habits, do you mean you cut out all sugar/bad stuff or certain food groups (wheat/dairy etc?)

I had the same problem. In the end I went to my GP who prescribed Duac. I used it for c2 weeks and it cleared my skin completely. That was a few months ago and it has not come back. Just wish I had gone to my GP sooner!

Have a look at this blog: http://www.carolinehirons.com. She is very good at explaining "routines" which will be a familiar word for a mother of a baby. Basically, she praises proper cleansing. She particularly recommended a cleansing oatmeal balm from balance Me (Waitrose and John Lewis) and their roll on radiance oil which is particularly good for spots. If the spots are on the same side are they on the side on which you sleep? Have you grown your hair and little hands grab them a lot?

Try Bio-Oil. Absolutely fantastic stuff. I tried everything under the sun. Even went to see a dermatologist who prescribed some awful cream. In the end I gave bio-oil a try. Just put it on twice a day. Amazing results. It is very cheap. A bottle cost around ?10 and will probably last you for a year at least.

I had to cut out bread and pasta and as much sugar as I can, although still find it difficult! I eat more oily fish and stuff like quinoa. I'm 43 and have tried so many different lotions and potions but went back to good old Dermaologica Daily Microfoliant then moisturise with Organic Rosehip Oil. It seems to have done the trick but I completely understand your frustration!

• 1 year later...

i have been doing hot cloth cleansing as part of an overall drive to reduce the products i use.

so i basically wash with a flannel, it took a few days for my skin to rebalance but its fine now although i get hormonal spots around my cycle whereas i never did before. thinking is that your natural oils rebalance when you aren't stripping away with cleansers, appreciate it doesn't work for everyone though and i haven't had persistent spots like you describe.

just thinking it might be worth spending a coupe of weeks using almost nothing before you try any new products just in case that works for you? i use plain jojoba oil but i think any oil works really,

and yes i liked bio oil too, thats what got me started on reducing products!

• 2 weeks later...
Sleep, bubble baths, drink loads of water, if really problematic try 'proactiv' but make sure you end the subscription after first purchase... My skin was terrible too but has now eased up, aside from dark circles ! Maybe one day I'll sleep again :)

• 4 months later...