Good books for learning to read?

My son enjoyed the alpha blocks magazine (they also have pull out parts for parents, it's based on phonics)he also enjoys the alpha blocks app then we have continued reading our story books but he sounds out/reads words when he can/feels like it. I have also heard that reading eggs is a good scheme.

Important thing is that you and anyone else teaching him learn the correct way to say each letter/group of letters, otherwise learning will be tricky for your child and very confusing once he starts school. YouTube is a good place to start. Have fun :)

Our 5 year old came home from Reception with a subscription to an app called Reading Eggs. His little sister also loves it too, and is picking up a few reading skills. It has a library of books and interactive games that work on the phonics system and sight-word system of learning to read.

We also have the Oxford Reading Tree books and they are relatively fun to read, but not as popular as using the iPad or computer for my kids..

Teach your monster to read website is amazing and free.

The Usborne big phonics workbook too.

The Book People have got a bumper set of Biff Chip and Kipper books on offer - most will be too hard now but good to have at home for when he's ready.

Go to the library every week. Let him choose any books he likes to share together including information books. Get a selection of the very easy readers too and read them to him. Discuss some of the sounds. Can you spot the 'o's? Where is the first sound of your name? Occasionally sound out easy three letter words. Always read for pleasure/story/information. Track the words with your fingers as you read. Don't worry too much about actually learning to read because it takes ages and shouldn't be pressurised. Get flash cards on with simple words and play games with them, not necessarily to do with reading eg. Usborne Phonics Flashcards- make up stories with the pictures or play memory games. So my advice is - to have sounds and words and books all around but make it fun and interesting and wait for your son to lead you with his enthusiasm and don't worry if progress seems slow as it will suddenly all come together but that may not be for a year or two. If you are at home with him I suggest he reads at least twice a day, I find after lunch is a good time. But Regular regular visits to the library, I think work wonders. Enjoy!

Thanks all. Looks like we are doing the right things (we have lots of flash cards, sound out the words, track with fingers etc.) He is read to on a very regular basis so we'll just keep going with that. I've downloaded one of the Reading Eggs apps (thanks etta166 and mariamadeit) and will try the books suggested.

Jolly Phonics and reading eggs are both good. Jolly phonics have workbooks and really dated looking DVDs, but my daughter used to love them.

Oxford Reading tree books are really tedious. Thankfully my daughter's school don't use them. With 4 kids, I don't think I could have coped with that much Biff and Kipper.

if you know where child is likelty to go tO school I'd see which method they use and go witH that. Read Write Inc is another programme some schools use. Some old ORT are not properly phonics based apparently - so make sure you don't get an old set. That said I think variety is the key so they don't get bored.