southwark website and closest schools

uzma

Hello,

According to my southwark online account, after St Anthonys primary , Goodrich and Heber are the next two closest schools to my address. ( 0.47m and 0.49m respectively)

So what are the odds if i were to apply for goodrich and heber that my child would get a place given that these are the closest to me?

Hello, if you search the 'school place offers day tomorrow' thread (also in the Family Room) there's a spreadsheet that gives distances for community schools - at the first round of offers stage. Sorry, not sure how to link to it!

I'm not sure you can talk about odds in that context. You have to put down 6 schools on your application in order of preference, so if you put Goodrich first and Heber second and they both had space for you, Southwark would offer you a place at Goodrich.

The pecking order is:- special needs; fostered(?); siblings; other, and is done on distance as the crow flies.

So if the number of SEN/siblings etc. use up all or most of the spaces, there may not be any space left for "other".

Although to put it into perspective, our closest school is also St A's and we live c400m from both Goodrich and Heber with Heber being slightly closer. 2 years ago we put Heber first, Goodrich second and got offered a place at Goodrich.

Heber's catchment area in recent years on first offer has been c 250m...this obviously may change (especially with the new Harris school)

I think Goodrich (which is 90 entry vs Heber at 60) has been about 470m on first round in the last few years.

So if this doesn't change hugely you would probably get Goodrich on first offer, if not waiting list but Heber more unlikely unless the catchment loosens next year

Then there is Harris which will be on the site of the old Police Station by next year - that could be a good option too.

Bear in mind, the first round offer distances published don't include offers then given after April via waiting lists

Hi Uzma,

if you are living in the area near the bottom of Lordship Lane, I would suggest Goodrich, Harris East Dulwich (which will common application system next year), Horniman's bulge for this year was cancelled but may happen next year, St Francesca Cabrini (does take non-Catholics), Dulwich Wood and Heber. You may think of others depending on where exactly you live. Put your 6 schools in your true order of preference, if you put a long shot first, if you don't get this or your other top choices it won't reduce your chance to get offered a place at your lower placed school if you fulfill the criteria for this school.

Renata