First week at Reception - half days

My daughter is going to Reception in Goose Green this September (very happy about that) and I just learnt from the school that the first week will be part time (either mornings or afternoons). I was wondering what other working parents are doing with these arrangements - not very keen on losing a whole week of my annual leave -))

thanks

Its pretty standard I think. A pain in the bum when you're working but probably the right thing for the children: it's a big step and easing them in gently is a good idea, I think. They're likely to be quite tired at first and will probably welcome the chance to decompress with a parent around.

It will only happen this once. Is there a chance you could take some of your unpaid parental leave (of course you may have used it up)?.

It's also quite a good chance to get to know some of the other parents especially if as a working mum you are not going to have much chance to be at the school gates. I took time off when No1 started and manically introduced myself to everyone which was a good foundation for future play dates/emergency pick ups/queries as to what was going on in the class etc

If you can't do that there are at least 3 GG mums that I know of who are childminders and can probably help. PM if you would like their forum names!0

You could bring it up with the school. Not all schools do a a staggered start, and some take it to real extremes... It is a real problem for working parents, especially if you want to save up days off for nativity plays and sports day and the like.

My daughter is starting also and I am taking leave that week to be around for her.

However, I do work for the NHS and have a very generous annual leave allowance and already have a son in the school so knew what the procedure was going to be so had done some advance annual leave planning.

Personally I wouldn't want my daughter just going straight in for full days in a class of 60 where no one knows her name on that first day or anything about her. At least with a few half days the staff will have less children in each session and a bit of a chance to work out who is who.

I know from other friends who have children that have started at different schools this is actually quite a short period of half days at just a week.

A friend in SW London had a whole term of half days!!!!!

Can you and your partner share the week and take a couple of days each? Or do you have a family member (grandparent, aunt etc.) that could be there for your daughter?

Personally I found for my kids it was a very full-on and emotional week when they started in reception, and I am glad I was there for them. If you can manage it, I think it's very worth it.

Bessemer go straight in with full days, or at least they did last year. I was really relieved after hearing from other parents about half days going on until late September. It wasn't a problem at all for my daughter, and I'm not aware of other children struggling with it.

Thank you all for all the responses. It helps to see that others are in the same position. Yes,I can definitly see the point of easing the children in and it is a good chance to meet other parents. It's just that i was saving the leave for christmas -) and now i might have to work through it .... I have not been in my current job for long so cannot take any parental leave and my partner is in the same position!!

Thank you all -)

yes, you're entitled to parental leave for this very reason.

Luckily I found out about this last year so we've been saving our holiday, otherwise it would have been a nasty surprise. It's the first sign that, unlike nursery, schools aren't there to provide childcare for working parents! Bit of a shock to the system after nearly 3 years of 8-6 days at nursery no problem.

This will only be the first of many shocks once your child moves to school. School performances in the early afternoon, inset days, parents evening that aren't really in the evening at all, school hols every 5-6 weeks, teachers strikes. The list could go on. Organising between work, life and school in our house is like organising a military campaign! Good luck. You won't be on your own trying to balance all this.

I flew my mum over especially....and took a couple of half days myself, luckily it was just a week of settling in.

It was quite a shock (as other peolple have said), going from 8-6 days (nursery) to school and it's just the beginnig (What EDmummy said!).

I must say that taking 1 week annual leave for the settling in period was not an option for me as it would have compromised what time I could take off Oct and Feb half term and Christmas holidays that first year. I also work for the NHS....not sure if they are generous compared to other organisations but with 13-14 weeks school holidays a year, my (roughly) 6 weeks won't even cover half! I spend many school holiday days at work wishing I was with my son.

Make friends at the school gate :-) I am forever grateful to the lovely families I've met through my son's school. We help each other out whenever needed (well let's face it I owe a couple of them a few favours....but luckily they are so lovely and don't keep count :-)

Good luck