Easing back into fine dining - any ideas?

We used to love going out for the occasional treat (top end restaurant style) but we haven't done it since the kids came along and now we're so out of touch. We've got a chance to go out next weekend and I'd love to treat ourselves but haven't a clue what's good. Any recommendations for somewhere that does brilliant food but isn't so trendy / poncy that we'd feel out of place? It's been so long that I don't mind if the credit card takes a bit of a hit, just this once.

The Crooked Well in Camberwell is top end gastro pub. Or there's Angels & Gipseys (tapas). Or if you want an actual restaurant Berner's Tavern just off Oxford St is excellent (the name suggests a chain pub - look up some reviews online - nothing could be further from the truth). Pollen Street Social is lovely - trendy but not too poncy etc as you say.

If you really don't mind the card taking a bruising you cannot go wrong at Le Gavroche - super food, and yes men have to wear a jacket and tie, but the atmosphere is romantic of an evening, the service exemplary and the food some is still I think some of the best available in London.

Artusi on Bellenden Road gets very (very) good reviews and is a bit more local than traipsing up to town.

Or Jose in London Bridge maybe? Bonaome's suggestions in Camberwell good, plus Silk Road in Camberwell. But maybe not "white table cloth" enough for a special night out? I wasn't *that* impressed by Pollen Street Social: good but not very good, if you know what I mean.

If you want to feel rather grand then Le Deux Salon just off Trafalgar Square is a French Brasserie of the finest order.

Waiters in uniforms, white linen, leather banquettes and wood panelling. Grown up dining.

The food is excellent too - esp. anything of the josper grill. Maybe not the andouilette sausage on date night though.

I'd also recommend Zucca on Bermondsey Street for a similar grown-up/sophisticated vibe. Excellent modern italian. Not a check table cloth in sight. Head to Jose's tapas bar along the road first for sherry and jamon.

Would second Duck&Waffle although the food is quite sugary.

Chez Bruce in Wandsworth is still consistently rated as excellent and I'm rather fond of Lamberts in Balham but haven't been in some years.

Ottolenghi's Nopi, near Picadilly circus is the best food I've eaten in a long time. The food is to share, so small plates. The atmosphere is lively, exciting and laid back. The drinks are phenomenal. I will definitely go back.

I would prefer Little Social to Pollen Street Social - more relaxed but great food. Otherwise really rate Chez Bruce - wonderful Michelin-starred food without going into London. Enjoy your night out!

Thanks for all the great ideas - I'll need to sit down and go through them properly. We're going to be up town anyway for a show with the kids beforehand so will probably stay up for dinner. (NOT with kids though - got my sister taking care of them!)

We used to love going to posh restaurants before the kids - my slightly more recent London faves are Hibiscus (for a fab if pricey tasting menu), The Square (for amazing food), Hutong/Hunan (for chinese - Hutong seems posher and has the views but I think the food at Hunan is better), Dinner by Heston (I loved it, my husband less so), St. John (nose to tail eating - so only if offal dosn't put you off). If you want to be within easy distance of ED Chez Bruce is great as is Hutong. I also really like Little Social (haven't been to Pollen street social though), I also really liked Nopi (if you go check out the loos). I guess the only issue might be reservations. If your going to a show and like fish - I really like J Sheekey. (I am making myself jealous - we haven't been out anywhere "nice" without the kids in ages!)

CocoC, Little Social is just opposite Pollen Street Social. Really nice - though I was very pregnant last time I went there and it was a bit of a squeeze getting into booth *embarrassing work moment*!

another vote for the Ledbury it's one of the best in london at the moment. or the kitchen table - fatastic experience Ferran Andria even ate there when he was in london recently. Went to the Dairy in Clapham , loved it, v good and not crazy Michelin prices.