Present for a 5 year old girl

Hello

I have a couple of friends who's daughters turn 5 next month. I know I could ask them what they would like but I would really like to get them a nice gift without having to ask. I haven't a clue what 5 year old girls are into these days. My daughter is only 2. Can anyone offer any help please

Thanks

Catherine

I always buy craft kits for little girls, my daughter (just turned 6) loves that sort of thing, and it seems most of her friends do too. Beginner sewing (I love the Galt sets made from thick foam, easy for little fingers), decorate your own type kits (headbands are a favourite), beads/necklace kits. Rainbow looms are the current craze sweeping through school, my daughter was given one for her birthday last week and loves it, as does my son.

If they have younger siblings and/or busy parents, suggest avoiding anything they can't play with or do without supervision, craft kits bring on guilt for me and some of my friends like nothing else! Sticker books, felt tips etc good though!

My eldest received a lovely "grow flowers in this bag" thing, but after the initial stage you had to bloody separate out the shoots and repot them into 10 separate pots (pots/soil/space to store 10 pots not provided!), or face questions about "why are you killing the shoots mumm?"! Grrr.

I second Smiler's comments. Especially with craft stuff, just because it says 3+ or 5+ on the pack, doesn't always mean a child of that age can do it - it usually just means it's safe for them. There may be kids somewhere of that age who cope but not mine!