Baby Carrier comparison request: Baby Bjorn v Ergobaby

Hi,

I am expecting my first baby in the next couple of months and am busy looking at baby carriers.

So far we have tried the Baby Bjorn Miracle Baby carrier which both my husband and I liked.

I want to try Ergobaby Original and the Ergobaby 360 as they get good reviews.

While I know I should go with what feels best I just wondered what people's thoughts were and suggestions of things to look out for as I am new to parenting!

Many thanks in advance!

I didn't like the BabyBjorn Active that we had at all. It really hurt my shoulders once our babies were a bit bigger.

The Ergo was much more comfortable for me, and lasts longer as well. I still back carry my 3 year old (and 5 year old very occasionally!), and use it with my 1 year old all the time. I have never used the Ergo with a newborn, though, as I used a wrap for the first 6-7 months.

Hello!

Totally agree with Snowboarder, Ergo is a different (much better!) beast to Bjorn. Ergo is a proper soft structured carrier and will carry weight on your hips and back, not focused around your neck. Also Ergo has baby in proper froggy position, not held up by crotch. Much kinder for mum/dad and baby and will last far longer.

Even better would be a Manduca, similar to an Ergo but even comfier and longer lasting. I am like a stuck record to regular EDF readers but I carried my nearly 4yo til he was nearly 2.5yo in a Manduca and I was very pregnant and I'm now carrying my 15 month old in one and have never put her in a buggy cos frankly it's just much easier to stick her in the sling!

This review is old but a great comparison of Ergo with Manduca:

http://extraordinarybabyshoppe.blogspot.co.uk/2009/08/product-comparison-ergo-vs-manduca.html?m=1

I used an Ergo for 10m and loved it but for me and most friends who've tried both Manduca is superior, more adjustable and better body length for toddler plus newborn insert is integrated and better/less bulky than Ergo. It is pricier but the resale on them is really good. Baby Bjorns on the other hand sell for a lot less - like ?10 - as many people don't get on with them or can't use them for years in the same way.

Ooo I had never heard of Manduca. I just had a look and mothercare seem to have them on offer at the moment too!

I wish I had asked this question before I went out shopping at the weekend so I could have tried the Manduca then - will have to track one down to try!

I have an ergo. It's great but I have also bought a beco Gemini as I find it more comfy being able to cross the straps... This wasn't an issue with my first but I am carrying my 2nd more and I just find it easier having crossed straps.

I would really recommend that you get a 2nd hand sling for the newborn stage eg a ring sling or wrap (or actually lots of people rave about the baby bjorn for the early days, it's normally later they switch to something else)

Then go to a sling library and try them all on.

But if you def want to buy now, then the manduca has the edge over the ergo I reckon.

Having just carried my 11 week old baby in bluesuperted's spare Manduca for an hour and a half walk I have to say that I am (as she knew I would be!) already a convert.

I already have a Hana Baby wrap (used since Baby 2 was born - I love it, but not one to put on in a rush when I am in a hurry), a Beco Gemini (which I bought to carry my first son from 8 months until he was around 2), a Babybjorn Active (which I haven't used at all with Baby 2 and don't intend to) and a Connecta UV (yet to come into its own as Baby 2 still a touch small for it). But I think once we've road tested bluesuperted's Manduca, if Mr Knomester likes it too, we'll be getting one of those too... (Must start selling the ones I don't use!).

I'd say that any soft structured carrier like the Ergo, Manduca or Beco would be better for your and your baby's postures than a babybjorn. I suffer with back and hip problems and find the soft structured slings far less stressful on my spine.

The sling library is great, but personally I couldn't have managed to get there or road test any slings in the first few weeks so I found it useful to already have a sling I knew I'd be happy with.

We love our manduca and it can have crossed straps as well. I carry my 18month old in it for long walks. Because of how the straps adjust, it means that front and back carries are equally easy but I imagine back carries in a beco or ergo would be slightly harder to tighten straps from (but I haven't tried!). We started off with a beco Gemini which we loved and LO lived in it from 2 weeks old!

The one sling I can't live without however, is my solarweave connecta, which we upgraded from baby to toddler size as its so invaluable to us and packs up small to ferry around under the buggy if we're having a buggy day (LO now very, very keen on her 'buddy'!) or goes in handbag when she's walking.

We got into woven wraps at 8 months which is a dangerous road unless you have lots of money to spend!

Another Connecta lover here, particularily my solarweave. It is also very easy to switch between two wearers with no fiddling about which is good if baby's dad will be up for carrying too. I think that ergos, manducas and connectas are all brilliant carriers but fit different body shapes better so definitely get to the sling library if you can and hire one or two.

Regarding your babasling - I wouldn't recommend using while your baby is very tiny. It's difficult to get a good position to ensure that your baby has a clear airway with support for their head. Google the TICKS guidelines to see what the safety recommendations are. It will be useful for hip carries once your baby can support his or her head, though.

Sling library is great! I also found soft, unstructured carriers the easiest and most comfy. Didn't really like the Bjorn-style ones I tried.

Actually getting the baby into the carrier is the hardest bit I think - and you can't really imagine what it's like without actually having a delicate, floppy but wriggly newborn! With the unstructured carriers you just lift the fabric between their legs and clip it up. There's no need to attempt to lower an infant down into two small leg holes and manage a raft of different fasteners.

I tried a Beco Gemini at the sling library and loved it, but it was a bit pricy. They recommended a Rose & Rebellion carrier as a cheaper option, and it saved my sanity! We had builders working on the house when my baby was tiny, but I could still get her off to sleep in the carrier even with all the noise - and it was comfy enough to wear for long periods.

I've just put it up for sale on the Family Room Classifieds if you're interested! http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?25,1350840

Good luck with the baby and your choice x

Sunlover - no, you can't do a forward-facing carry in a manduca. Most reputable carriers don't recommend forward-facing for any period of time as it places the baby in a less natural position, but if you want an alternative to the ergo 360 then the beco Gemini is a good carrier and has a forward-facing option.