First Steps Montessori Upland rd - Feedback please

Susan, it's a lovely nursery - my son went there and my daughter is there at the moment. It's small, really well run and has a friendly atmosphere. We will miss being part of it when my daughter leaves to go to school soon. Have you been round - I think your gut feeling on visiting nurseries is really important. Do PM me if you want more info. You too newguy42.

It's a lovely nursery. They are good at picking people that are interested in children. They've done quite a lot of work improving a room for younger toddlers and are finishing work on the garden, extending it and making sure there is enough space outside for everybody. They have additional activities by external providers: multisports, yoga and dance. My son absolutely loves the food which is cooked on premises.

We've been on their waiting list for more than a year and I have not heard from them since they happily collected our ?25 registration fee.So to be honest I would question their admission policy and customer service. On a more positive note, I really liked the nursery especially for over 3yrs old. I got the impression they have a good set up, great activities, food appeared to be good and lovely staff for that age group. I was a bit less impressed with the room for 2-3 yr old which to me looked like laundry room (this is because this room is located in badly done extension/conservatory not due to substandard care). I would happily send my 3 yr old there if they ever bother to offer me a place.

BMy feedback's a bit dated as my children are now 6 and 7 but both my daughters attended First Steps from 18 months until they were 3 - they loved it. I cried when they left, they took such good care of them.

MrsPR - the middle room you mention has recently been extended and now has French windows leading into the garden - this has made it a much bigger lighter space. The waiting list is long - the younger your child the longer the wait is likely to be. It's definitely worth giving them a call - this is the time of year when spaces will get freed up - now there's only one school intake a year there isn't a lot of movement except around Aug/Sep.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi - i am looking into this nursery too. I'm a Montessori teacher myself, and i have to say, its amazing. I really want my son to go there too. SUSAN your son is 3.5.. did u mean to wait that long? just curious as i am also a childminder.. and my son is happy at the minute.. and i don't know whether to wait until September 2015 (he is 3 in October so his 15 hours wont be available until Jan 2015 and most schools say that he needs to wait until September or start earlier).

just nice to hear other mums views... hello everyone x

SamMander

He has been at a brilliant small nursery until now but all his friends are moving on to school nurseries or school itself and the setting will have a new intake of 1 year olds which would not be right for him. I really like First Steps as well and it will be good to get him into a more school like environment before he starts school Sept 2015!