help with stair gates!

Hi

Does anyone have any recommendations/suggestions for stair gates. WE have bought one but out skirting board sticks out too far and it a=is a pain to put up! I think we will need to attach some wood to make it match up but if anyone has any tips for tricky spaces and stair gates it would be really appreciated.

Or if you know of anyone who could come round and make some/fit some.

Thanks

We didn't bother with them much with our firstborn and not at all with our second - having tried both ways I would never use them again, our daughter learnt to safely climb the stairs up and down very quickly and we only just had a mild tumble this week as think she was being extra daring and tripped, she was fine - she's 16 months but has been independently climbing up and down with reducing levels of supervision since 7/8 months or younger. With my eldest I think we had one from crawling at 5 months to about 14 months. Obviously it means a bit of extra watching to begin with but have found it's paid dividends in safety awareness of second child and of course has not complicated 3yo firstborn's need to access the upstairs and downstairs areas with ease all day everyday (toilet, accessing clothes and toys etc, he's very independent). Highly recommend not bothering!

I think it depends on your house. Eg the depth of the steps, the flooring, etc.

We have 2 steps down onto tiles and kids just don't see the second step. Although my son is fine with it we need the gate for visiting kids. We don't have gates everywhere but we have 3 and I'm lobbying for a fourth before baby starts to crawl. (We have lots of steps)

All gates need that extra bit of wood to balance the skirting, sadly! Unless you have skirting that is low enough to mount the whole thing above it.