Things to do with a young person around Oval and Kennington

Not quite ED, but only down the road, so I was wondering if some family-roomers might be able to make some suggestions. I'm about to start mentoring a young person (female, 14yrs) in the Kennington / Oval area, and our meetings will be activity-based to a certain extent.

I'm going to do my own research about what's on offer in the area, but if anyone here has any insider tips on nice cafes, cultural spaces, or other things to do and see within that immediate vicinity, I'd be very grateful for them.

Thanks!

Hi Norfolkvillas

Well done for taking up mentoring, I'm sure it will be very rewarding indeed.

Do the activities have to be in the Kennington/Oval area? Or would it be a good idea to take that child out of her regular surroundings to experience some different things & to widen her horizons?

I'm just asking as I know someone who mentored a 15 year old girl and she took her to lots of places outside of her immediate surroundings (street dance shows, theatre, restaurants, music events etc).

Do you have any idea what interests she has?

Well done once again, I know how rewarding it can be.

Hi,

I used to live around there (pre kids) so things may have changed, there was an excellent theatre (ground roots stuff) just around the corner from oval station. The park opposite has good facilities, tennis etc.

Your only up the road from Brixton too.

Good luck! Great to mentor

Vauxhall City Farm (great for place for relaxing, calming stroll - some of my colleagues go there when they're stressed at work), Tate Britain - take a sketch pad, walk the bridges - Vauxhall bridge to Westminster Bridge, around House of Commons and back down other side of river.

Ovalhouse Theatre is the theatre just opposite the cricket ground - they have loads on and do a lot with young people. some of it is quite experimental... but think they maybe also do youth group stuff. They are linked to Truth About Youth London (Tay London) - you can find them both on Facebook/Twitter.

Brilliant suggestions all - and lots of things I never would have thought of myself! Our sessions are going to be short and regular which is why I'm specifically looking for stuff local-ish to her. I'm sure we will have the opportunity to go further afield on occasion in the future though.

Thanks for the well wishes too - it's the first time I've done anything like this (or had much to do with any age group other than grown-ups or very young children) so I confess I'm feeling a little apprehensive...

How about the Imperial War Museum? Kennington Park is good for walks during the day and there's a cafe there too. I lived in Kennington for a few years and we were big fans of Amici's Italian restaurant which also has a cafe called Il Due Amici which is good too. Good luck. Brilliant thing to be doing.