Barking dog... Owner out

Our neighbour leaves their dog at home at night whilst they go out.

Sometimes they're ok, but regularly (particularly recently)the dog howls intermittently until 1am or whenever they get home . Like tonight, it's still going - I can't sleep (it's right below us).

We have informed them thT this happens. I've texted tonight but received no response. So I guess they're just ignoring it.

WhAt can I do? I'm absolutely shattered....

Is there also some issue with the dog. I've never owned one so don't know what they're like but it seems a but extreme. There's no obvious cause for the upset, no one comjng near the flat, so I guess it's lonely (although probably thirsty & hot too - it's a small flat and no windows are open.

It's nothing to do with any thunder storms. There weren't any between 10 and 130 - the worst time- and it's happened on nights with absolutely no heat/rain issues

Though I do worry that last night particularly he was very uncomfortable having been left in an airless flat...

Is it unreasonable to expect the owners to return from a night out if the dog is exhibiting this kind of stress?

Personally I don't think it shoukd be left in the first place, for such long stresses, if it's known that this is its behavior.

He eventually quietened at 2ish.

Dogs are very social animals. He's probably lonely. He may also hear things you don't that lead him to howl or bark. I wouldn't expect people to dash back for this, but if it is an ongoing problem, they should work to find a solution you can both tolerate. Unfortunately experience tells me sometimes neighbours aren't very neighbourly. :O

Really? I wouldn't expect people to dash back if we're talking a reasonable time for a night out but, past midnight, I think I do expect the owner to take it seriously both as a noise disturbance and because they're responsible for the health and well being of the animal, as the owner, and if they've been upset for a number of hours that needs to be addressed. Perhaps that's just me.

But I think you're right regarding the reason - I think he is just lonely, although there might have been the added discomfort of last night's heat and the closed windows.

Sounds like classic separation anxiety, howling is a sign of stress. I'm surprised they know their dog is suffering from this and yet they still leave it for hours alone at night! As a dog owner of 2 dogs, one who had terrible separation anxiety when younger this can be fixed by some basic training by them, leaving a kong stuffed with treats and also Adaptil Spray (Adaptil is a synthetic copy of the natural comforting pheromone released by a mother dog to reassure her puppies) can be used in dogs of all ages, just spray in the area the dog is left alone in and last 4-5hrs.

If it was me every morning after the night the dog had been barking I would go round there and tell that their dog was sounding incredibly stressed last night and how it is keeping you awake. I'd also inform them that there are basic things they can do to help the dog.

They shouldn't be leaving him/her alone for such long periods knowing this so it's completely selfish of them.

Ellie78 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Really? I wouldn't expect people to dash back if

> we're talking a reasonable time for a night out

> but, past midnight, I think I do expect the owner

> to take it seriously both as a noise disturbance

> and because they're responsible for the health and

> well being of the animal, as the owner, and if

> they've been upset for a number of hours that

> needs to be addressed. Perhaps that's just me.

>

> But I think you're right regarding the reason - I

> think he is just lonely, although there might

> have been the added discomfort of last night's

> heat and the closed windows.

I would come back for my own dog, but then again, I wouldn't leave a dog in those circumstances!

That's what I mean: The type of people who leave their dog like this knowing there have been complaints, aren't the type of people I'd expect to dash back for their dog. :(

Thanks chunksmum and saffron.

I really appreciate both your comments on it. I have no experience with dogs.

Worryingly, it kept howling throughout the day (another neighbour is very concerned) looks like no one came home last night; and I think it's only in the past couple of hours that someone has got home today. Ridiculous.

Check the RSPCA website for further advice:

You can find information on domestic and wild animals as well as advice about general pet care, animal welfare law, animal rehoming and vet care. You can also find details of local vets, council and police for non-emergency situations.

http://www.rspca.org.uk/utilities/contactus

Might you also make a noise notice to the council?

Perhaps your neighbours just aren't taking it seriously because they don't realise how disturbing it is. I'm guessing it's pretty upsetting for the dog too!