Chicken Pox-HELP! Anybody know of a more effective treatment of spots apart from calamine lotion??

Hi all,

My 19 month old has chicken pox-(diagnosed yesterday). Not an awful lot of spots on her body but this morning more has appeared on her face and nape of neck. Using the good old calamine lotion, but is there anything more effective to use on the spots?

Advice much appreciated.

Thank you!

I found calamine did nothing for my kids when they had pox. ViraSoothe gel is readily available in local pharmacies, it helped, but the main thing that worked was Piriton syrup.

Good luck - this hot weather is horrible for someone with chickenpox!

buttercupSE11 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> ... We are flying soon and I need

> to get rid of it ASAP!

There isn't really anything available to shorten the course of the typical CP infection. OTC treatments will help soothe symptoms and promote healing. Otherwise the virus just has to run its course.

Keep the spots clean and don't let them totally dry. Keeping them moisturised promotes healing and reduces the likelihood of scarring. xx

I kept this in my phone from when my eldest had it, hope it helps.

>

>> 1. Vira soothe cream. It's amazing! It's a clear gel, soaks in mega fast and it lasts a few hours (3 and counting so far)

>> 2. Eurax cream. Last 3 hours.

>> 3. Callamine. Haven't seen much use out of this other than you can reapply as often as you like and he seems to like it being applied.

>> 4. Nurofen for the temp.

>> 5. Warm baths with half a container of bi carb soda (he loves these, hysterically crying out of bath, as soon as he hits the water he is happily playing.

>> 6. Bi carb soda and a little water to form a paste and apply liberally. This will help dry up the blisters. As soon as blisters have dried up the itchiness reduces dramatically.

>> 7. Heating on and baby just in a nappy during the day.

>> 8. 100% cotton pjs

>> 9. Plenty of fluids even if it's a bottle as Toby is properly off his food as he has them in his mouth.

>> 10. No soap or shampoo if in their hair.

>>

>> Hope that helps x

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks. Will be taking all of your advice. Went to the pharmacy this morning- got some piriton but when I asked for vira soothe, the pharmasist said he had never heard of it so I've ended up with some aqueous calamine cream. Will go to boots for the vira soothe.

Do they look infected? Personally I wouldn't take a child with pox to the doctor unless there was a complication, as you risk infecting so many people (ditto vomiting, diarrhea).

Glad you found virasoothe, it seemed to provide a lot of relief for my kids x

buttercupSE11 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thank you. Found Vira Soothe in Boots. Using it

> with Piriton. Not liking the spots on baby

> butter's lower eyelids. Will go back to the doctor

> on Monday.

> Thanks x

Spots on the eyelids should be ok, but keep a careful watch for signs of secondary infection.

Spots on the white of the eye or on the inner eyelids, you should seek immediate medical advice from your GP or A+E.

xx

We found Poxclin really helpful, available in sainsburys or boots, much easier to put on than calamine lotion too as it's a foam and you can just slap it all over.

Oats in a pop sock in the bath certainly amused them, may have helped may just have distracted. Piriton unfortunatly seemed to upset my youngest's stomach but worth a try.