Painting an old pine cot

Has anyone repainted a old pine cot? With my daughter I inherited a very very old John Lewis cot that has been passed down my family forever. With my daughter we used it as it was, covered in ancient stickers and looking a bit tired. We're due our second baby in November and I want to repaint it this time. Has anyone done this? I've been looking at child friendly paints online and have found some beautiful colours. If you've done this what brand have you used? B&Q do a range called Nature Paint but I'm unsure of the quality and standards of this for painting a cot bed, the price is very appealing though! I'm loathe to buy 2.5L when I'm only doing a cot bed so alternatively if anyone has any leftover child friendly paint please feel free to PM, this a eco friendly/budget project after all!

I'm thinking to sand it all down to the raw wood, leave the cot in its natural wood state with a coating of wax but paint the railings bright colours for a bit of fun. Has anyone used wax or clear varnish safely on their childs cot? If so, what?

Congratulations Gina!

I did this for my 2nd daughter. It was hard work but definitely looks better. I used the Eco shop on Lordship Lane opposite William Rose, can't remember the name. They sell lots of nice colours and you can buy small amounts, think I managed with 0.5L using a couple of coats after lightly sanding first.