Term time only childcare

Searching for childcare in Tulse Hill/Brixton Hill/Herne Hill area, starting December 2014, for a 7-month-old. Full-time or 4-days-a week (tbc). Open to either nursery or childminder, but keen to find someone/somewhere who offers term-time only rates as my partner is a teacher and will take over during school holidays.

Can anyone recommend a nursery or childminder they've used for term-time only, or are any childminders reading this who might have space come December?

thanks

I don't think non-school nurseries offer term-time only, and your child would have to be 3 to go to a school nursery. My husband is a teacher and we've managed to find 2 childminders who are happy to do term-time only (they've both had their own school-age children). First one we found by phoning round the list provided by Southwark Council, second by advertising on ED forum (family classifieds section).

My husband and I are both teachers and it has been my experience that private nurseries don't advertise term-time only care but that some are willing to come to an agreement if you ask. Our daughter does two days a week at nursery during the holidays, which we find invaluable when doing the inevitable school work during holidays, and which we feel helps with her continuity of care.

My childminder offered term time only childcare for me - I think that is the best option as nurseries generally don't. But do think about it carefully. I did start to regret NEVER having anytime away from children - I was either with teenagers or toddlers and would often start the new school term more knackered than the end of term (whilst all other teachers were bright eyes and ready to go). Even just one day a week would have been valuable.....

I'm a teacher and struggled to find term term only Childcare. The nurseries I found that offered this were only open school hours. As mentioned there are some childminders who are happy to have the school holidays off, I'd recommend putting a post in the family room classifieds of you haven't already.

In the end I found a fantastic childminder who charges half pay in the holidays and it means I have the option of Childcare too. Teaching and parenthood are quite relentless and it's nice to be able to have the odd day off from both in the school hols.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Latest Discussions

• What would I do about cyclists?  The failed Tory manfesto commitment to train all kids was an excellent proposal.  Public information campaigns aimed at all road users, rather than singling some out, to more considerately share the road, as TfL have done, is welcome too. As for crunching vehicles.  I'd extend this to illegal ebikes, illegal e-scoooters (I think some local authorities have done this with the latter) but before that I would (a) legislate that the delivery companies move away from zero hours contracts to permanent employees and take responsibility for their training, vehicles and behaviour on the road.   More expensive takeaways are a price worth paying for safer roads and proper terms and conditions (b) legislate to register all illegal e-bikes and scooters so that when they are found on the road the retailer takes a hit, and clamp down on any grey markets.  If you buy an e scooter say from Halfords this comes with a disclaimer that it can only be used on private land with the owner's permission.
    • I know a lot of experts in the field and getting a franchise was a license to print money, that is why Virgin were so happy to spend lots of dosh challenging government ten years ago when they lost the West Coast franchise.  This will not be overnight, rather than when the franchise has come to the end. Government had previously taking over the operator of last resort when some TOCs screwed up. Good, at last some clear blue water between the parties.  Tories said they were going to do a halfway house, but I've not noticed.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_British_Railways   : "On 19 October 2022, Transport Secretary Anne-Marie Trevelyan announced that the Transport Bill which would have set up GBR would not go ahead in the current parliamentary session.[15] In February 2023, Transport Secretary Mark Harper re-affirmed the government's commitment to GBR and rail reform.[16] The 2023 King's speech announced the progression of a draft Rail Reform Bill which would enable the establishment of GBR, although it has not been timetabled in the Parliamentary programme.[5] The Transport Secretary Mark Harper later told the Transport Select Committee that the legislation was unlikely to reach Royal Assent within the 2023-2024 parliamentary session.[17]"
    • Can't help thinking that regardless of whether Joe wanted to be interviewed, the 'story' that Southwark News wanted to write just got a lot less interesting with 'tyre shop replaced with ... tyre shop'! 
    • Labour are proposing to nationalise the railways, (passenger trains but not fright)  Whilst it removes them from shareholders control, and potential profit chasing, is it workable or will it end up costing tax payers more in the long run?  On paper the idea is interesting but does it also need the profitable freight arm included to help reduce fares,? 
Home
Events
Sign In

Sign In

Or sign in with one of these services

Search
    Search In