Good toy/present for a 4 year old

JJSP

I'm seeking some inspiration/ideas for a present for my daughter's 4th birthday which is coming up. I want to go for something quite exciting, something like a doll's house, but not too pink/girly. We've always got second hand toys before so I'm a bit clueless really.

Or other ideas of things you've bought for your kids/friends' kids that were popular? I'm interested in all and any ideas!

Thanks

Jane

If you do not already have a scooter then that would be my first recommendation, or bike.

Cas art do lovely sets of felt tip pens etc if your daughter likes to draw and make things.

At this age my diaghter loved those play doh sets (where you push out various things, e.g. Ice creams etc)

If you look around for dolls houses you can find cheaper ones (I got ours of some website and it came with all the furniture etc)

Play kitchen always popular

Miss kitty stuff was very popular at this age

Dress up clothes, this has been a constant source of fun for my daughter and friends. We have a huge basket filled with dress up clothes (mostly second hand, but all loved and played with) even now they squeeze into things that are too small!

New books

At four mine were fanatic about Playmobil, sticker books, play dough, painting and making elaborate things out of Lego.

I might be inclined to go for an arts & crafts kit, if none of the above appeal. Or a pocket kite.

Thanks for the suggestions here. Have found the dolls house on Toys R Us, and ordered as it looks good, the price is very reasonable and I know she'll love it. Hurray!

Now, anyone got good suggestions as to how to prevent tantrums on birthdays? Last year we had screaming by 9am and I'd so like to avoid that this year...

Jane