Ideas for stop-over on way to Aus?

We are flying to Melbourne in Jan/Feb and want to have a holiday on the way for 1-2 weeks. We love Thailand, but don't fancy the extra flight to an island with two small, tired kids in tow so I am looking for ideas. I am considering Dubai so it would be great to hear thoughts on there. If anyone has any hotels/places to stay (not only in Dubai) to recommend that would be great too.

My sons will be 1 and 4 when we leave.

Thanks

There isn't anywhere on the way that I would recommend for 2 weeks without some onward travel (I loathed Dubai, but others love it). Singapore is the obvious place though, because there's easily enough to do there for a few days while you're recovering from the first flight, and there are short flights from there to loads of other places where you might want to spend a week or so, including in Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam etc. I also rate Singapore Airlines and Singapore airport as among the best in the world. The only specific place to stay I can recommend is in Penang, where I go often, and have stayed with kids at the Hard Rock Hotel - fab.

Singapore is a great place for a few days but I'm not sure I would spend a week or more there with young children - day trips would be a good way to go as said above. Depending on your budget the Shangri-La has a great pool and gardens for the kids and is a 10 minute walk from Orchard Road with loads of different cheaper eating options. Gardens by the Bay and the Singapore Zoo are pretty amazing (but a way away from the Shangri-La!)

If you wanted a Dubai stop that didn't feel like Dubai, there are options - The new Anantara on The Palm is great for families (as is One & Only but very very expensive) and you don't ever need to venture into the city - just enjoy the beach and the sunshine and the pools and pretend you're elsewhere. Desert Palm is 20 mins from the airport but not in central Dubai - they have pool villas which are great for families.

Could you stop more than once? Say 3 or 4 nights in Dubai then 2 nights in Singapore (the Sentosa recommendation above sounds good)? Ease gradually into the time differences to minimise jetlag, and keep your flight legs to more palatable lengths?

Hua Hin and Cha am are about a 4/5 hour taxi from Bangkok airport and we did a 5 night stopover there on way back from oz as likewise didn't want to do another flight. IS nice but not as nice as thai islands in my opinion so not sure for 2 weeks. Think we stayed at Anantara resort.

Also pre kids did India en route to Oz and was amazing, wasn't a stopover as in brought two separate tickets but cost was about same and split journey about the same as thailand (one 10 hr and one 12 hr leg). Kerala would be great with kids for 2 weeks, could do backwaters and then down to Varkala or something.

Thanks all.

Anybody been to Abu Dhabi?! Brother-in-law has announced he's moving there in Jan so that might be an option I guess, although we are really after a beach holiday.

We're moving to Aus and this will be our last chance for a family holiday for a while, so want something relaxing but not mega-bucks...

I think all the cities (and I'd add HK) aren't great for two weeks with kids. The exception would possible be Dubaii. If you've two weeks I'd personally would do Thialand 2 days in Bangkok for kid recovery then fly to Ko Samui (say) for 10 days.

A bit of a different idea but what about South Africa? I spent 10 days there on the way to Australia four years ago (admittedly without children then) and there are loads of things to do. There's very little jet lag between there and the UK and the onward flight to Australia is relatively painless. Having flown all the other routes mentioned that's where I would go for two weeks. Japan is another option but I haven't stopped there yet and don't know what it would be like for children, also cold in January. Cape Town is amazing in summer, the beaches are great and so is the food - and there are safari parks, table mountain etc

I had a bit of vicarious fun with this.

If it were me I would ...

Fly Thai Airlines direct to Phuket - night time flight leaves LHR 21:50, 13hrs40min, 1 hour changeover in BKK - very doable. Arrives 18:15+1

Fly Thai Airlines direct to Melbourne - mid evening flight (20:35) 12hrs50min, 3 hour changeover in BKK. Arrives 13:25+1

Flown with them a few times. Generous seat pitch in economy, great service, not vastly expensive.

That trip for 2 adults, 1 child and 1 infant is ?2,714 all in.

Phuket has lots of nice resorts you can stay at which would be great with the little ones and you'd actually get a holiday. I love Bangers dearly, I really do, but with a 1 year old I would give myself a break and just chill out by the pool. Leave traipsing around extremely hot, busy, dirty, dusty cities until the kids are a bit older (we did BKK with a 6 year old a couple of Easters back and that was fine, but the days were exhausting for her: heat, culture shock etc etc).

Singapore is ok for a couple of days, but not a couple of weeks - unless you plan to be spending a lot of time in departure lounges and baggage carousels at Changi and use it as a hub.

Hope that's useful.

Bon voyage.

Wow - thanks for that bonaome! We've flown Thai a number of times (pre-kids) and agree that they are good to fly with. I also love Bangkok but don't think it's right this time around, but I actually stayed in Phuket for a week or so about 16 years ago, so maybe it's time for another visit!

Would love SA but my husband isn't keen so that's out (this time around anyway!)

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions, much appreciated.

I would go for Honkers (HK) in a heartbeat if I had the chance as flying Cathay to Aus was one of the best flight experiences I've ever had and it's a great city for kids as well as grown ups, even if just for a few nights. Especially brilliant if you manage to get out to one or two of the islands. Disney for the kids if you can face it.

Alt, if you're brave enough to do it all in one go, the airport itself is a great place to spend time and you can buy entry into one of the lounges for about ?40pp for showers, sleeps, snacks and drinks (if you need them after all that time on the plane!).

S

As an Aussie who spent some years in HK, I would recommend taking kids to HK for a stopover. Took my 2 (was age 2 and 4) to HK (enroute to Perth) and they enjoyed Disneyland, the Peak via the tram, star ferry across the harbour and taking the tram on HK island. Travel in HK is cheap and convenient. Plenty of cheap eats and they loved dim sum and the Cantonese cuisine. Can easily get round speaking English. Next time I would take them to Ocean Park and this new place near the airport:

http://www.groupon.hk/deals/hong-kong/dream-come-true-education-park/718435091

(obviously the deal has expired but the link is just for info)

There are also a few interesting museums (Science and Hong Kong History)

Harbour views are stunning at night and if you are there at the right time, you might get the Xmas/New Year lights on the skyscrapers. Or else you might be able to catch Chinese New Year festivities.

We stayed in a 2br flat we found on airbnb which was affordable and gave us extra space (plus kitchen, washing machine and wifi)

Not so good points are of course very crowded in places and pollution but for a few days, it's not too bad!

Agree with HK as a destination, although in Jan and Feb it is pretty grim weather wise - plus side means not boiling hot and high humidity, but you would need winter clothes (10 degrees with no central heating, so it feels colder than it sounds).

However, the rain fall is lower that time of year, and you'll have summer awaiting you in Aus, so you're not going for the sun anyway to HK.

Plenty to do for a trip - Ocean Park, Disneyland, the beaches (although wrapped up but they're all sandy), chilled out days on any of the islands (all a very cheap boat ride away). Plus sides - very safe, so no issues at all with crime.

Avoid staying in Kowloon as IMO it is hell on toast as just so busy. There is a family-easy hotel at Discovery Bay, which could be a nice base, and a boat trip from Central, or if you don't want to stay in Central, then there is also a hotel in Stanley (beach town) on the south side of the island.

Equally, though Singapore would be fun!