Entertaining a 4 year old post operation

LauraHW

I'm looking for inspiration. My 4 yo son has just had tonsils and adenoids out. We can't mix with any kids for 2 weeks to reduce infection risk and he can't do anything too strenuous yet. I'm running out of ideas already of keeping him and one year old sister entertained. Park is OK but not when it's raining. Have been to the library and horniman already. Has anyone been in the same boat? Any ideas for places to go? We all get itchy feet if stay in the house too long so puzzles and crafts will only take us so far (plus repeat viewings of toy story!)

Thanks in advance

Hi, we had this very recently with an enforced period of low key time for my 5.5yr old after an ear operation. I posted about it here and got loads of fab ideas, many of which I used:

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?29,1331465,1332606#msg-1332606

One thing which we did was try out the cargo bike hire in Dulwich park - he loved it - your 1 year old could prob go along?! We also did baking, and I got the Tuff Tray Fuschia recommended on my thread and did various things with that. We did the Natural History Museum on his last day off school - but we were lucky in that it was term time, so manageable (though still weirdly busy!). The Docklands Museum (part of museum of london) is fab and has a great activity area for kids, with soft play that would entertain your 1 yr old but more mentally stimulating stuff for your 4 year old. Also we did stuff we needed to do anyway but presented them as treats (new trainers, new summer shoes).

Good luck. I really feel for you. We also couldn't mix with other children and my son is so sociable t hat this was almost harder than the no running thing.