Upper thigh pain-Help!

Hi,

I'm suffering from a sudden strange pain in my leg-upper right thigh. Started yesterday with my thigh feeling a bit strained and slight pain in right hip when walking. It was an effort to turn in my sleep last night. Today is awful. I have a constant throbbing pain in my thigh,cannot raise my leg with ease,feel slightly cold and I'm hobbling around the house. Generally feeling a bit of an invalid.

We have just come back from a 3 week holiday and I think the climate change has affected my menstrual cycle. As soon a we got back I had all my usual pre-menstrual symptoms, which were unusually early and today I had a visible sign of my period appearing(if that makes sense!). I was reading that upper thigh pain is one of the menstrual symptoms, although I've never had it before.

Don't really want to waste time going to my GP, (although I did start to think the worst that it could be a blood clot) so thought I'd put it out there and see if anyone has suffered the same or anything similar?

Thanks

Sciatica according to google

Is usually experienced as a sharp pain, as opposed to a throbbing or dull ache. Words people often use to describe sciatic nerve pain include burning, searing, sharp pain.

Is usually worse when standing or sitting still, and feels better lying down or walking.

You might have DVt/ blood clot?

As you have travelled on a flight it might be worth checking. My DVt started like that but I was stupid and left it until I couldn't walk to go the hospital and I did go GP but didn't have any real symptoms minus pain in my thigh x

I was in hospital with a terrible throbbing pain in my left thigh after having my third child (nearly 16 years ago). Was told it was probably after-pains after birth and discharged the next day. I told staff I knew what after-pains felt like but I trusted them and I also had other children to get home to.

To cut a long story short, I ended up in King's A&E after experiencing chest pain and other unpleasant symptoms with a pulmonary embolism (blood clot had gone from leg to lung).

Don't want to frighten you but hope you're feeling better now.

I really recommend you get it checked out at Kings AE ASAP (no need to go via GP). My husband has had 3 DVTs (the first one turned into a Pulmonary Embolism and was the result of a short flight from Ireland) and for each one the symptoms were just a dull pain in various parts of his leg (including the upper thigh), although I think he was limping with one of them too. Kings scan you very quickly and if a clot is found will start you on a course of heparin immediately to break the clot down before it can travel further in your body. It was all very straightforward treatment but it is important you get a diagnosis and treatment as quickly as possible if there is a clot.

Thanks for the further replies. I got an emergency appointment at my local GP. Didn't see my usual doctor. Was told that it couldn't be a blood clot as my leg is not swollen. Doctor had no idea what could be causing this and told me to come back if pain persists. I'm not convinced that it could be nothing as I'm not a person who suffers from general aches and pains or a sudden onset of pain. My leg is fine now, although I do feel a slight tight sensation and a needle prick feeling. I will now seek a second opinion.

How frightening! Hope all goes well. It did occur to me when you first posted (after I thought it may be a blood clot) that you may be pregnant. Within a few days of me conceiving I get a lot of pain in the groin and upper thigh (apparently it's ligaments reacting to the chemicals released by your body during pregnancy)which lasts for about a week. Anyway, hope you get it sorted in A&E.

That's good news. With my PE I had no swollen legs, just the nagging thigh pain. This then developed within 42 hours to pain in my chest, trouble breathing to the point of nearly passing out and coughing up blood. My Mum was with me in A&E and, god bless her, she looked after my newborn daughter for the next week or so while I recovered in hospital.

I was told by my doctor that they had lost a Mum a while before me due to the same thing.

The charity, Lifeblood, did a lot to raise awareness of signs of DVTs.