Good toy farm for a 3 year old?

Belle

Any recommendations for a good toy farm? Looking for one for my son's third birthday next month. Ideally the sort that can be added to easily (makes it so easy if relatives want to buy him something!). I had assumed ELC or playmobil but not v inspired by either.

What about making one? An offcut of fake grass (glued to a board if you want something more solid)A mirror or cardboard covered with foil for a pond. Make fences and buildings out of Lego which can be rebuilt into a zoo for a bit of variety.Then relatives just need to give animals or Lego. When the farm is outgrown the Lego will still have endless possibilities. Grandfathers are usually very good at these things. I remember my Dad made one for me as a child and I still treasure the thought of him taking the time to do this for me.

We have a Waldorf/Steiner wooden farm set. It was mine when I was little and has since spent 20 years travelling down my family. I know they are hard to find but you can find similar on Etsy or eBay, quite an expensive thing to build up and collect considering you can buy full sets in ELC and such but the quality of handmade is second to none. Really solid wooden structures, hand crafted and finished. I think things like wooden toys are great to pass down to other family members or your children's children as has happened with us, every child loves a toy farm!

Plan toys also do lovely sets, although once again hard to come across. Check this out though, tempted by it myself! I'm sure they do/did a farm set too. Yet again excellent build quality.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plan-Education-Wooden-Vegetable-Farm-Set-Ideal-Nursery-Pre-School-/151320386167?pt=UK_Toys_Creative_Educational_RL&hash=item233b65da77