Has anyone moved schools at (or near) the beginning of year one?

verds

We moved house six months ago and are on the waiting list for schools in Sydenham.

My little one's about to go into year one and I'm hoping there'll have been some movement on waiting lists over the summer, but Lewisham say they can't tell me until the beginning of term.

So now I'm not sure whether she'll go back to school as normal to start year one, or whether we'll get a place somewhere else.

Has anyone else moved at the beginning of year one - and how did it go? Does it take them long to settle? She's very outgoing, but took months to settle in reception!

Also, any opinions on Kelvin Grove, Eliot Bank and St Barts from parents with children about to start year one?

• 4 weeks later...

Our son moved in year 1 and it was fine. The new school was really good at welcoming him and making him feel special. I would try not to make too big a thing out of it, and just tell them once it is confirmed.

If your child has some really good friends at their current school set up a playdate at the weekend quite soon, and also try and be present at school parents events/socials so you quickly become part of new community.

we worried beforehand but it was completely easy.

Eliot Bank is VERY popular. Personally I didn't like the vibe when I went to take some nursery papers up there, or the thought of walking up that hill every morning, so we didn't apply.

We made the choice between Kelvin Grove and St Bart's. Ended up going for St Bart's mainly because all the kids from preschool were going there (although my daughter ended up in a different class to all but one of them which was a bit crap). I can't deny that we have since muttered a few "what ifs" about Kelvin Grove. An old friend of my wife's works there and speaks very highly of it.

THAT SAID...

My issues last year were with the head who I thought was just too caught up with things that are not really important (like inviting the kids with the best table manners to the top table), and the SENCO who was shit! They have both now gone, and already it feels better. The new SENCO sought me out in the playground and arranged a meeting with my wife and I (the old one would do anything to avoid having to meet with us) which I was impressed with.

So I think I would now happily recommend St Bart's. The year 1 teachers both seem very nice, one male and one female (who is also new to the school), and it just feels somehow better this year.

Hi verds,

I moved my daughter at the beginning of year 1, I was stressed and worried but she was amazing loved being the "new" girl. School gave her a friend to help her find her way round (girls fighting to be the chosen helper), she had play dates within the week....

If anything it taught me how great kids are and resilient to what we throw at them.

so relax she will be fine (and you will too!!)

Hi Otta, I think table manners are an important part of a school's learning. Maybe the head was just trying to set an example to other children and therefore help them along the way so don't think that's a bad thing.

I've worked in a dining hall at a primary school and it can be a very chaotic place to be.

Sorry to go off topic of the OP.

Ooh yes, I'm mad for table manners.

Thanks for everyone's comments - looks like we have an offer for EB so very pleased about that. I'm visiting this week, but have also done the nursery forms and had a good feeling. Parts of our family are very atheist so St Barts may have been difficult, even though it looks lovely.

Otta, I'm hoping the walk up the hill will get me fit!

Hi Verds, my son (who I think your little girl has played with once upon a time) has moved schools this year, so at the start at Year 1. It has been pretty much seamless. We were lucky in that we knew a couple of people from before, but I was expecting it to be a much bigger deal than it has been all the same. He is very outgoing but can be a bit sensitive about stuff, but it has been great. Everyone seemed to clock that he was new (and me!) and look out for him/us as a result. I think the fact that Year 1 involves some transition anyway (including a new teacher/TA for most classes) means that to an extent they are all in the same boat. And they don't really know any different at that age - in fact my son was saying the other day 'next time I move school...' to which I replied 'not until secondary!'.

We actually had a bit of a last minute change of plan with schooling so didn't even tell him until the night before (!) but he took it in his stride. PM me if you want to know more. She will be fine! If you keep it matter of fact and maybe store up a list of pros to help (we had a list of advantages to the move, but we barely got past the first one - quite an arbitrary one too - which he focused in on and from then on we were off, he was happy). I also stressed that he will still obviously see old friends (we have a good precedent of this with friends from previous nurseries who didn't go on to school with him, plus friends who have moved away and cousins who live far away - he gets that friendships don't just take place within school walls).

We are also thinking of moving (Y 2) as he has just been offered a place at Elliot Bank (will brave the hill I reckon :) MOving house or schools is always scary and we love his current school so much, but the commute from Sydenham to ED is dredful in the morning and we have had enough.

Thanks all for such positive comments, it is very encouraging!

Verds - it looks like we are in a very similar situation (move and school-wise) so I will be in touch :)