Christening gifts

Hi all,

My nephew will be christened next month and I will be one of his godparents. I'm trying to think of an interesting/non-conventional/useful/inspiring christening gift. Had a look on NotOnThe HighStreet but nothing is really standing out

Has anyone got any bold ideas/received some great gifts??

Budget approx. ?50 and a little boy aged 18 mths.

Thanks

My sons godparents bought him a really cool compass in a case which they had engraved, cant remember exactly what is said but it was something like may this compass take you to some far off places and keep you on track. He also got some shares and a massive telescope that was pretty awesome.

I bought my godson a selection of classic children's books (not all obvious choices - stuff that means stuff to me and his mum, like Robert Louis Stevenson's A Child's Garden of Verses, and some beautiful editions from Rye Books including a Brothers Grimm collection illustrated by David Hockney). Maybe not as original as you were looking for but I figured it would be a gift that he'd get some value from...

My sons received lovely gifts, including special books and a Noah's ark which has been played with loads. My older son received a beautiful piggy bank which has really come into its own now he's a bit older, he adores it and we use it a lot.

Is he getting christened somewhere quite picturesque? Could be nice to buy him a painting /photograph of it if so?

• 1 year later...
My godparents gave me an engraved bracelet for my Baptism and I've always cherished it. In high school and at the university, I used to bring it with me to exams for good luck. I'd usually take a moment and look at it if I was having trouble and it has never failed me. I gave my baby one for her Baptism and I let her wear mine as well. It was really special.