Reception intake 75% boys at DVI

weloveboo

Wild (but fun) speculation.

It would be interesting to see the average age of the parents in DVI Reception.

I've heard that boys may be more likely if mums use ovulation sticks (possibly bollox)

So if this generation of mums left it a bit too late... and had to rely on OS, or used them for whatever reason. There may be a greater chance of having a boy.

Higher house prices = leaving it later = more boys?

:)

I've heard that if baby is conceived during ovulation (so on days 14-16 or whatever) it's more likely to be a boy. Something to do with female sperm being more likely to hang around until ovulation occurs !? No idea if this is an old wives tale or not. Last year's Heber reception intake was 40 boys and 20 girls. I think I generally know more boys in the area too...

So this is the 'theory'

Male sperm has a Y chromosome, which is actually just a truncated X chromosome.

Y chromosomes are therefore ever so slightly lighter than X chromosomes.

Y sperms travel slightly faster as a result,

Y and X sperms can be separated using centrifuging (one way of sex selection in other countries) due to this difference in weight. This is all proven and true.

it goes on...

X chromosomes are slightly slower and very slightly more sluggish, and as a result, they last longer (say 4-5 days?)

Whereas Y sperm are nippier and don't live as long. This is more debatable as true imo.

SO

If you use ovulation sticks, you basically see that you're fertile and have sex as soon as it says positive.

So the sperm most likely to get to the egg in time is the male sperm.

so if you want a girl, you should try say 3-4 days prior to ovulation. That way only the female sperms will be alive when you ovulate. Opposite is true, if you want a boy, wait until the day you ovulate.

If you mean DVI or even all local schools, none as the sample's too small. So can, and easily could, just be a statistical outlier. If you mean all woman in the UK over 30 or using OS then yes could be interesting to look at all the data (probably been done).

I always thought it was fascinating that in forum baby group my son was born in, there were lots and lots of boys and just a handful of little girls. I think that the OS theory is a very interesting one, even if it is in a non proven way.

Some advocates of "gender swaying" swear by gender vs ovulation theory (shettles method or something).

jrpfinch Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> What types of academic researcher would be

> interested in this? Medics, health economists,

> anthropologists, geographers...

>

> Fascinating I think.

Ok. Here goes :)

I'm 36, I use OS to get pregnant.

I have two boys, my eldest starts at DVI in September.

N=1

Son 1 was in a class of 70-80% boys, son 2 in a minority. I tend to think its random but I think I read somewhere once that younger (much younger - 16-25year olds) have a higher % of girls.

In my experience, things tend to even out a bit more from Yr3 onwards in this area as some boys go on to Dulwich College.