Fitted Clarks shoes - blistering

GinaG3

My daughter has always had clarks shoes, since her first pair. We went to buy school shoes last week and as usual I had her fitted. First day back at school yesterday, wore the shoes. Came home with a big blister on the back on her heel and really complaining about the pain that the shoes gave her. I've NEVER once had this problem with Clarks shoes, its the sole reason I buy them over and over again. Fitted shoes should provide your child with the comfort and support they need for their delicate growing feet and should not need 'breaking in'. The soles are still perfect and I have the receipt and box. I am armed and ready for an argument later when I pick her up from school and take them back to the shop.

Has anyone ever had this issue and returned to the store for refitting and refund/exchange AFTER they have been worn?

John Barnett on the lane. Just went in there and the manager changed them, no quibble. Her feet were measured wrong when we were sold them so she has just given us another size. Got to say I'm very impressed. Don't know why I am though, afterall clarks philosophy always has been good fitting shoes for children.

Did they use the new tablet-based wifi measuring system? The Peckham store (factory outlet) has always been v reliable - and cheap! - but they've just changed their measuring system to one were the child selects which character they want to be (!). It was so clearly wrong that the assistant re-measured but she didn't seem sure so I went to John Lewis where they measured both children's feet up to a size longer and wider!

ninbi Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Did they use the new tablet-based wifi measuring

> system? The Peckham store (factory outlet) has

> always been v reliable - and cheap! - but they've

> just changed their measuring system to one were

> the child selects which character they want to be

> (!). It was so clearly wrong that the assistant

> re-measured but she didn't seem sure so I went to

> John Lewis where they measured both children's

> feet up to a size longer and wider!

Friend of mine had the same issue with the new tablet measuring thing - I think she went to Clarks in Lewisham(?) The manager admitted it was inaccurate and re-measured manually, which begs the question as to why they were using the tablet one.

HP

They did not use the tablet system, just the usual foot on and measure system. I was furious at the fact she came home from school with blisters. I could understand and would be mad at myself if they were an 'off the shelf' pair that I had to guesstimate sizing but they weren't. Glad it was resolved with no fuss at all, considering they had been worn, albeit for 6 hours. I'm giving the blisters a bit of healing space before we try the new ones for a few hours and will this time try then inside before using them outdoors. Glad I didn't lose ?48 for their mistake. I would of been on a head office complaint email rampage! I hate spending such huge amounts of money but with proper fitting shoes it is 100% worth it, and with Clarks you pay for the peace of mind and expertise.

I mostly take my kids to the lovely Dorothy at Emmanuel Marshall (with the odd foray to John Barnett where they're always pleasant too). ALWAYS get lovely shoes from Dorothy that the kids wear and wear and always very well fitted. She's been mentioned before in the forum.

HP

I always go to Biff in Dulwich Village, patient and experienced staff who ensure a good fit.

Never buy Clarks shoes anymore, Startrite or Ricosta are far better in my opinion for school shoes. Usually made of soft and supple leather which has never caused any problems for us.

Poor thing - i hope her feet have recovered. I always use Barrett but I always check the fit myself as well. On a recent measure, I suggested my son could go up a size as the sizing came up to the same as a fit done a few months ago (elsewhere) which my son had complained afterwards that his toes rubbed and Sandra (at Barretts) agreed he should go up a size but after watching him walk in them, suggested he use an insole (which she fitted free of charge). Shoes fit well now.

We've encountered poor fitting via the tablet system at Clarks too - although luckily it was a v experienced fitter serving us who knew by sight that the size didn't tally with what would actually fit. When we went to the Clarks at Bluewater a few wks ago they used the "old" style measuring & got my daughters v narrow feet sized perfectly.

I'd love to shop locally/not rely on Clarks so much, but DD has such narrow feet that a lot of the independents just don't have much of a selection appropriate for her. Looks like my son's feet might be a bit more typical so they'll get my custom more frequently next year!

• 1 month later...

On the subject of Dorothy, I think she's opening a new shop in FH soon but I don't think we can see her over half term (please let me know if you've managed to!).

My 3 year old needs new shoes before being back at school, so if Biff my best alternative. she currently has Clarks but I too always feel a lot better when Dorothy measures the kids.

Stella C on North Cross Road does kids shoes ( not sure if she does school shoes however ) and I have been happy with the measuring service and the fit.

The shop on Lordship Lane, Jolie's near Icelands also does school shoes and a measuring service . I like Biff as well .

Dorothy was super but unfortunately has relocated and I don't think she has opened up her shop yet due to the landlord/leasehold being delayed for some reason or other .

Maybe worth giving her a call?

I second vote for Stella C for a similar range but including school shoes - gently elephant brockley. Worth the journey over if you are driving. Good selection of shoes and ever growing selection of other good stuff.