Double buggy recommendations

astrid83

We are expecting nr 2 and are trying to figure out what double buggy to get. Our son will be 19 months when next baby is born so definitely need one. I known Phil and Ted's are popular but I'm not convinced, I've heard it easily gets punctures?

We have a very narrow and short hallway so space is limited! We currently have a baby jogger versa for our toddler that we like, does anyone know how their double buggies are?

ICandy also looks good and is apparently light, but expensive...

Any recommendations or experience you would like to share is very welcome!

Hi Astrid... I have an Icandy Peach Blossom which I have used since birth for my twins and they are now three and a half. They walk most of the time now but still fit very easily in their pram when we need it. You can have the seat at the front for your older child and a car seat or cot thing (sorry can't remember what they are actually called! I only ever had the car seats) at the back. We love it. I'm on and off buses all the time with them and it's really no bigger than most single prams, so easy to maneouvre and great for narrow corridors. Never had any wheel problems (they can't puncture)or other breakdown type incidents. They are expensive new but they do come up second hand. The twins club nearly new sales are a great place to pick them up in good condition, second hand, as well as to look at lots of different other types of twin buggies. There is a sale at St Faiths Hall on 27 September:

http://ddtwinsclub.org/2014/08/22/nearly-new-sale-2014-09-27/

Hope you find a pram that works for you.

There's 23 months between my two and to begin with I used the sling and existing single baby jogger. Then at about 4months I got a city select double and it's been great. Both seats fully recline so the toddler can have a proper sleep in it. They can face each other which the eldest loves to do.

It's slightly longer than phil and teds but I personally think its better as both seats recline fully and the view for the baby is not blocked.

I think it's the same width as my single baby jogger. The frame is a bit heavy when hoisting into the car but as you take the seats off and put it in 3 parts, it's not as heavy as p&t.

I bought mine second hand and it cost ?400 so not that cheap.

Good luck, I agonised over options for ages!

Could you use a sling for the few months and then once baby starts getting too heavy you could use a buggy board for the elder one? Our age gap is greater than yours (25 months) and our elder's temperament is conducive to walking/buggy boards (not sure if my younger one would have managed if the roles were reversed), so this may or may not work for you.

Thanks for your recommendations!

Srisky I was first thinking about just using a sling for the baby as my son hated his pram for the first five months and loved being carried (still loves it actually)... But think it might be a good idea to have a double buggie just in case, I wouldn't be allowed to use a sling if j end up having a c section for example!

I had a c section with both mine and it didn't affect sling wearing! I had a lovely close sling with my second - but I found having a baby in a sling and controlling a toddler really hard and slightly hazardous, and I found it really impossible to cope with baby in sling and toddler and all the stuff I seemed to cart around. But many do seem to manage! I loved having a double buggy that I could strap my toddler in and know he was safe, especially if having to deal with an emergency feed or nappy change when out and about...my eldest was a bit of a runner-offer, v stressful with a small baby in tow!

Hi - had a 16 month gap between numbers 1 and 2. We (eventually) got an "out n about double nipper". I loved it. It is side by side but narrow enough to get through all doorways I tried. And both seats go flat so it's cosy enough for sleeps and can handle large toddlers. Plus it's amazingly light to push - so much easier than the Phil and Ted's which I really didn't like. (We also had a double Maclaren for a previous nanny share and I found that really awkward/heavy.) But it's horses for courses really! Slings are great but I found them tricky when trying to play with/pick up a toddler too. Toddler was only small himself so needed a lot of attention when the other one was a little baby. And my youngest one slept a lot and was happy lying down!

I think get a double. If you did need it, then it would suck trying to sort one out with 2 little ones.

Wait for one to come up on the Edf/gumtree and get it,

Then you

A) use it, very glad you had it

B ) don't use it because you didn't need it, sell it for close to what you paid

C) don't use it cos you don't get on with it, so sell it and buy something that suits you and your kids!

I bought a new double and then ended up buying another one second hand that suited us better. Am now happy with single pram plus buggyboard/sling but I couldn't have coped with that in the early days and my age gap is bigger than yours!

Have a 19-month gap between number 1 and 2 and am using the Joovy Caboose ultra light. It is US brand and is not very popular in the UK. I use it with the extra seat as my older one was too little to stand on the board at the beginning.

It is super light and narrow and pretty versatile. It is also pretty cheap compared to other double buggies.

You just need a car seat at the beginning for the little one.