Which are the best girls state schools near Dulwich?

Sol

Hi, my daughter is in year 4th now and I have started looking at secondary schools; Ideally we would like her to attend a good girls state school within reasonable commute/travelling distance from Dulwich; we are considering the Grey Coat school but don't know what the other options are? Are there any other good state schools for girls not too far from Dulwich; e.g. in Bromley, Beckhenham. Thank you

Will you actually be living in Dulwich Sol?

Most state schools admit their pupils based on how far away they live from the school, so state schools in Bromley and Beckenham are unlikely to admit children living as far away as Dulwich - all of their places will be taken up by pupils living closer to the school.

My daughter goes to Sydenham School and is doing well there. It is a very large school and has a huge catchment area (so most of Dulwich/East Dulwich seems to qualify), fully comprehensive (takes all abilities), has an inspiring Head Teacher and has just had a huge amount of money spent on new buildings, including brand new IT, sports and drama facilities.

Not responses; my guess is that there are no many good state secondary schools for girls around Dulwich. Our plan B will be The Charter School but I am still not convinced it is for our Daughter; What is your opinion about the Charter? Plan C will be going private, e.g. Sydenham high? any families with kids at any of those schools who can give us an opinion.

Ah, I think if your plan C is going private then you probably won't feel Sydenham Girls school is for you! I know nothing about Sydenham High or any of the independent schools, I'm afraid. It was the fact that you asked about state schools which prompted me to reply.

Ideally we want a state school; plan C is because we don't know nor have visited any girls state schools in the area; didn't know about Sydenham School and I think it is worth to look at for what you say. Thank you.

Grey Coats offers the bulk of its places on Church of England attendance in combination with distance and reserves a handful of places for pupils showing an aptitude for foreign languages. There is also Prendergast in Brockley. I would suggest looking at Lewisham, Southwark, Bromley and Lambeth website education sections and searching their secondary school lists. Or chatting to your primary head who will prob have a list. Good luck.

There's a handy brochure you can get from the Lewisham site (think I actually accessed it via the Sydenham High website) which lists all Lewisham schools, including bus links, which is handy to see which are easily accessible and which aren't...

I'd really recommend going to see as many schools as you can to get a feel for the place. It also depends, I think, on your daughter. Is she musical and sporty? She might enjoy Kingsdale (mixed and nearby). Is she very science orientated? Sydenham might be for her (many more girls end up doing sciences than at Charter). There's also the new school being planned (either a HABS or Charter, depending on the outcome of the bids), is she academic and doing "well" or does she need more focused support.

There's also, of course, the fact that "choice" is something of an illusion when it comes to schools but I must say that when we looked around for our now year 7 girl it was extremely heartening to see the offer of the local state schools.

Great! Thank you very much for all the information; she is bright and above average in her current school so it is worth trying those selective schools too; I am making a list and considering all the options so this information is very useful.

I have daughters at The Charter School, all are fairly academic and have/are hopefully on course to achieve A/a*s in all subjects. One of my daughters does science A levels, as do many of her girl friends. The school has achieved 77 per cent 5 a- c grades, including English and Maths. There are a huge proportion of children at this school who go in with high level 5s from primary school and do very well. There is also something to be said for walking to school, rather than travelling for an hour on the bus/train.

The great thing about The Charter School is that all their friends live locally. A huge selling point for my kids who have a wonderful network of friends. My daughters have now left but still in touch with their friends. Loads of extra curricular with girls sport doing really well = eg girls rugby and football. Tennis, swimming and BMX clubs too. Great university progression - this year students into Oxford, Bristol, Durham, Warwick, Edinburgh, Royal Vet college etc as well as top art and music schools. Check out Kwabs' latest video Walk - he is an ex student.....