Best pre school in nunhead/New Cross area

Ellie78

Putting this out for some Forum wisdom.

My son is happy at his nursery, but I'm not convinced that they're quite right for him from 3+ for various reasons. He's only 2.3 now so I need to get my skates on as to putting his name down so we have the option of moving him if needs be - although I'm going to be talking to the nursery about my concerns and see how they address them.

I've posted here regarding nursery advice and I've been to a few to have a look round, but they're not that different from where he is now.

I wanted somewhere that really focuses on 3+ rather than just has a pre schoolers room to investigate now. As ever, we are limited by distance and location. We live in Telegraph Hill, so would have to be nearish us in Nunhead or New Cross Gate. I've googled, but would prefer recommendations if at all possible.

Not sure if you want a full day nursery or a preschool but my daughter went to St marys preschool in Nunhead and loved it- experienced, kind, energetic staff team and a real community feel. Pm me if you want to know more...

For full day I hear good stuff about the telegraph hill Montessori i think its called stepping stones?

My little one has just started at St Marys and absolutely loves it.The staff are great and very caring.I was a bit apprehensive leaving her at first as she has never been looked after by anyone other than family but they we very reassuring and she actually waved me off and was so happy and comfortable she didn't stop chatting all morning.It is a shame they are only open mornings but as my husband and I both work from home it suits our situation.They have a huge hall with various activities and outdoor space and the children all seem pretty happy.It actually really reminded me of my Playgroup setting back in the early 80s.

They are charity run and do various fund raising events.They pay extra themselves for outside people to come and run different activities such as sports on a Friday.I've already decided to increase her mornings,?12 a session is incredible.I can't praise the staff enough.

The Montessori on Kitto Road is also meant to be excellent and open all day but I think they currently have a waiting list for the 2.5 yo.I know you need to fill a form in online to then have a tour and then it is ?40 to put your name on the waiting list.

Hope you find something suitable for your little one.

I've heard good things about St Marys too. I've just started my 11mo old in the baby room at Stepping Stones Montessori on Kitto road, which I really like - obviously I have no experience of the older room but tbh it was the older room that really appealed to me when I looked round (I like the baby room, it's very calm, but if I'd gone for nanny or childminder I would still definitely have wanted her to go to the nursery from 2 or 3). Feel free to ask any Qs about it if you want more detail.

I also looked round Playhouse Community Nursery at the moonshot centre in new cross which is v highly recommended. I had some gushing personal recommendations for it. It seemed lovely, lots of activities etc. However for us the baby room at Stepping Stones won out as it's calmer.

hth