Aspergers child and secondary school 'choices'

hpsaucey

Hello all - I realise that there's already a thread which looks at this (title 'Help... secondary school dilemmas - again!' but its not obvious from that thread title so I'm posting a new one:

My son is currently year 5 and has Aspergers. We're on the east side of Peckham Rye COMmon. I'd be really grateful and interested to hear any more on how people have found these schools if your children are there/ any other advice about schools where your ASD children flourish/ any other sources of ASD-focussed advice for the schools in the area. Like many of you (I suspect) we have no statement despite my son's Aspergers diagnosis, although I was wondering if it might be worth trying to get one still. I'm starting to get very twitchy about the whole secondary school transition.

Any help very much appreciated!

HP

There's a Harris parent who's added a comment to another thread about this who has had a positive experience. Often I think it's down to year group rather than the school. Would be interested in knowing a little more about what you heard MsMaz.

MsMaz Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I've heard of negative experiences at Harris

> Academy Boys East Dulwich so that might be best to

> avoid!

I reckon it would be still worth trying for a statement as new legalisation has come in this year which covers support from 0-25years which is important if you son goes on to further education post 16 and needs support with accessing this which I would have thought would be relevant with your son having a diagnosis of Aspergers.

The new code of practice has a strong focus on your and your son's wishes with the local authority needing to set out in one place information about provision they expect to be available across education, health and social care for children and young people in their area who have SEN or are disabled, including those who do not have Education, Health and Care (EHC) plans. In setting out what they ?expect to be available?, local authorities should include provision which they believe will actually be available.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/send-code-of-practice-0-to-25

It is still very unlikely that having Aspergers would qualify a child for an EHC plan without other needs - Aspergers being a high functioning form of autism (my job means I am involved with the SEN reforms, and essentially having an EHC plan has replaced statements).

My son has Aspergers and is at Harris Boys, as is his brother who doesn't, so I imagine I know rather more than MsMaz and her overheard negative experiences. Thanks for sharing those by the way, as such rumours are always really helpful. I am very happy to answer any questions if you want to PM me hpsaucey.

Hi My Son is now 15 and is going to Baston House School in Hayes in Kent and although he is not always happy he is doing well there! It could be a good place to start so you can compare it to mainstream secondary schools.Both Prioy Schools are very good but are a pain to get too!

A very good school locally is Addey and Stanhope in New Cross. I wish I had known about it years ago and if he has a statement (I know they are changing) I don't think you could do better than that school! Good Luck

Nicolax

You might be interested in R4 Women's Hour today (on listen again), Monday 29th Sept, to a mother with a child with Autism and his transition to secondary school. Might be some useful questions you can ask of prospective schools. There was also someone from a parent support organisation interviewed.

My now 16 year old ( NON statemented ) Asperger son is at Forest Hill School in the sixth form , but has been at the school all the way through from since year 7 .Best decision we ever made , although it's a big school he has absolutely thrived there. Great pastoral support and SEN dept , very willing to adapt and tweak things to accommodate his little foibles !! He surpassed our expectations and passed all ten of his GCSE exams in the summer with really good grades ( we were so worried that the change in routine and exam stress would have a big effect).However The teachers and support staff were constantly on hand to lend a supportive hand to him if he needed it , or give him a verbal hug where necessary. Also have a couple of friends with Asperger boys at Harris Boys Academy East Dulwich , who are extremely happy with the support their sons receive , advantage there is its a much smaller school so less overwhelming ,but wasn't an option for us as wasn't even built when we were looking for our son.

Best piece of advice I can give you is , look at all schools more than once , make an appointment with the SENCO separately to discuss specific needs and see if they can accommodate them . You will find that ( in my experience ) secondary schools tend to have more staff with a broader experience base of special needs than a primary school , so will usually understand things very well. Last but not least ask plenty of questions , take a list with you , they will understand how important this decision is for you . Good Luck !!

• 11 months later...

Hello all,

I've been reminded by medusa of the thread so this is a very (year) belated thank you for all your responses. Just after posting last September personal matters meant that I completely forgot about the replies. I'm revisiting and finding it all very helpful - so thank you!

HP