Which balance bike, if at all?

srisky

My 3.5y daughter is keen to learn to ride a bike. I've seen younger kids on balance bikes and have been impressed with, well, their balance. It seems that once the balance and confidence is there then it is a matter of developing the coordination to pedal.

So, are balance bikes they way to go or is it better (and cheaper) to go straight to a standard bike with stabilisers?

If balance bikes are better to start with, which ones would you recommend?

From my POV, one that's easy to carry (or even better sling on to the back of a buggy) would be ideal. As would pedals that can be de/attached as and when.

Thanks!

For a 3.5yo you won't get much use out of a balance bike. They tend to be small and designed for 2-4 year olds. However, there are some larger ones out there, like the Zooom and the bigger wooden ones.

It might be easier to get a 14" bike and take the pedals off, so you can use it as a balance bike and a pedal bike later on. All pedals should detach/reattach with a spanner quite easily. There are lots of good children's bike brands like Frog, Islabike, Hoy, Ridgeback etc. You generally pay more for a lighter bike, which makes them easier to ride, control and carry. We have loads of good bike shops around, so I'd just go to one that dos kids bikes and ask to try some. Balfe's Bikes and Bon Velo have a good selection.

I would avoid stabilizers if at all possible, because they actually inhibit learning to balance.

Both my boys have started out on balance bikes from about 2. Our eldest, now nearly 5, went pretty much straight from balance bike to a full on bike with a very brief spell of stabilisers (don't think he needed them at all!).

Our youngest, now 2.5, is super fast on a balance bike and am a very confident rider. I would thoroughly recommend it. I can't rid a bike and am considering investing in an adult size one!!

We have the Strider brand, which is a lot lighther than wooden bikes and are very happy with it.

Hope that helps.

My two don't seem to be able to master balance bikes at all - they don't/didn't get that you have to sit on the saddle and both of them just walk with it between their legs - despite being confident scooting etc. We bored of the balance bike deal when my eldest was 4 and bought him a specialized 16" bike - he had stabilisers for a couple of months and now rides it fine. Youngest at 3.5 has both a balance bike (walking!) and a stabilisers bike - bloomin' bikes coming out of our ears.

Annoying because you don't know until you try. I'd pick a super light metal one up second hand if you can....

Went straight from wooden Velo Walker to 2 wheeler. The stabilisers just confused our daughter. She can ride the 2 wheeler but still loves the Velo walker for short trips. She's 4 so think there is scope for older children to use them- our7 year old was on it in the park as it us fast and fun.

My children both used the same Puky bike between the ages of 3 and 5 (child 1) and 2 and 4 (child 2) before moving onto an Islabike. It was brilliant and I would highly recommend. They both started riding the islabike straight away with no stabilisers as they already had great balance and control from riding the balance bike. They had the Puky with proper tyres and a stand but no brake. It is for sale in the classified section in case you are interested!

Defo have to recommend a balance bike - my son had one and when he went to a big bike, he totally bypassed stabilisers! The bike shop guy was quite impressed..... Basically, when they use a balance bike they totally get that you need to push off first, balance and then start peddelling. Really great! You should be able to get a second hand one easily - we passed ours to a friend with a younger child.

Hi

We bought our four year old daughter a regular bike but took her pedals off. She spent about three weeks whizzing around on that getting used to steering and the weight and then begged to have the pedals back on. I felt it was too soon but her dad agreed and to my surprise, that was it! We took her to the park and within ten minutes she had the knack. She was initially very wobbly but is now super confident. She is so chuffed that she is one of only a handful of her four year pals who can ride a bike without stabilisers!

At 3.5 I would buy a small bike from which you can remove the pedals.(e.g Puky)

Allow your daughter to use it as a balance bike until she can cruise along and go round corners with panache, and then put the pedals back on. She will zoom away!

This is how my children learned, and it made it very easy indeed.

Stabilisers mean that a child has to use their weight in a way which is actually counter-productive to learning to balance and go round corners.