My 4 year old has dental decay- we are being forced to go private for treatment!!

echo

Earlier this year, My daughter was seen by a well known Herne Hill dental practice and assessed as having dental cavities.

The dentist thought it was too 'difficult' to treat her and made a refferal to King children's dental hospital in May 2014. Despite this I persevered in having dental practice treatment, this resulted in two fillings done at the practice, two more to go! However further treatment refused after one session of her refusing treatment; she had a cold that day. I was continually advised to see their private children's dentist, I reluctently paid for an assessment. Dentist was excellent but obviously treatment will be very expensive etc etc etc.

Anyway- Kings Dental hospital has extremely long waiting times- We had the assessment last week great- Treatment will START in Feb next year!!!!

So does anyone have similar experiences of being denied NHS treatment in the same way? I was surprised at the quick denial of treatment, she was labeled as temperamentally too difficult: she refused to brush her teeth as a 2 year old and me neglectful??

What can I do?? We are not really in a position to pay ?100's of pounds. Also any less judgmental dentists around??

Thanks

My son (7) had to have a tooth out at Kings - the dentist was the most fantastic children's dentist ever - he had injections and he didn't even know! You do have to wait a long time but the treatment was excellent.

Of course, if your child develops a cavity that causes pain, you'll need to go to the emergency there.

The other place to consider is the Lister Dental Centre in Peckham which I've heard is similarly very good with kids.

We are having treatment at Kings with my eldest - it is truly painful as mostly he refuses to open his mouth, and we go home again and go back in 3m time....The dentist he sees does seem to be lacking in child management skills (which my husband told her, to which she replied 'you do the childcare, I'll do the dentistry'!!). I've never really investigated any alternatives...maybe we should!

My daughter had teeth crowding and needed a tooth out. Kings messed us around for about 2 years - never making a decision about whether to take it out or not and then finally deciding on a general anaesthetic! I wasn't keen. We went to lovely Nicola at Dulwich Dental Clinic on Lordship Lane and she popped it out in 5 mins! Like Snowboarder I found the Kings experience draining. I'm sure if you go to an NHS dentist you wouldn't have to pay. Niamh x

You should definitely not need to pay for basic (non cosmetic) dental treatment for a child. Others here have suggested good alternatives so you can get the right care ASAP , but I would complain to the dentist as this is unacceptable. If you aren't happy with their response you can complain to NHS England, as dentists most certainly shouldn't be advising parents that their child can't be treated by the NHS!