Pay rises for nannies

SLad

Hi all,

Apologies if there's another thread somewhere else discussing this topic but I had a quick scoot around and couldn't see one.

We have a lovely and extremely reliable nanny who will be coming up to her year point with us soon enough. I want to make sure that her wages don't drop in real terms each year by making sure that I increase her salary in line with RPI but was wondering what others do about this as I know that most people talk about nannies being paid ?10 per hour net/?12 gross (or thereabouts) but this seems to have been 'the going rate' for ages so I don't see how that works against real price inflation.

Confused...

Anyway, if any of you lovely folk would like to share your views/past approaches you have taken that would be ace.

Thanks

I would see ?10/hour net as a starting rate (obviously other factors may come into it - experience, qualifications etc. but it is still really the basic going rate I believe) - but equally if you have a great nanny you're going to want to give pay rises! It's also an incentive for nannies to carry on in the same job - really good nannies tend to stay on for years and years. I do know some who have been with the same family for over 7 years. Bonuses are another way of dealing with the concern about increasing costs of living, but obviously that might not feel as reliable as an annual pay rise.

HTH