Drama class that's not 'jazz hands'

lynners

My 6 year old is very shy at performing in front of a big group but is quite dramatic at home. I really want to get him in to a drama class locally (SE22) to build his confidence. There are so many though that are also dancing/singing/west end based which is not him at all.

Does anyone know any classes that are quite 'boy' based? Silly faces/voices etc.

Thanks so much

http://www.theatrepeckham.co.uk

Theatre Peckham.

This is a participatory children's theatre that is one of the Arts Council's National Portfolio Organisations (NPOs). Becoming an NPO is such a competitive process that we should really celebrate the fact we have such an organisation on our doorstep.

Drama can be such a powerful tool with children and young adults but I agree you are right to choose carefully. It isn't just that jazz hand environments are cheesy - they can also be extremely competitive and demoralising. Really good participatory work will encourage teamwork, co-operation, inclusion and build every child's confidence. Such work is often more interesting creatively as well - with a focus on imagination and creation rather than tightly choreographed routines.

I've been impressed by the drama classes offered by Jasspa at JAGs on a Saturday morning. Plenty of boys, no jazz hands at all. They seem to do lots of games that work on characterisation so yes, plenty of silly voices and faces. I'd say they are teaching the children to act rather than teaching them to perform.