To slow cooker or not to slow cooker

ACBP

I like mine. Spag Bol, chicken casserole, sausage casserole, pulled pork are my faves. It's a once a week thing here, not sure you would want to use every day, although I did when my kitchen was redone. V handy if out for the day. Get a specific slow cooker cook book.

Yes!! Makes dinner so much easier, you can prep in the morning when everyone has more patience and by the time the early evening craziness begins, dinner will be ready and waiting for you, easy! We do lots of stews in ours, so far this week we have had gammon and mixed bean chowder and beef stew and will do a roast chicken in it later in the week. You can even prep and freeze bags of ingredients so you just defrost and stick it in. I don't bother with following the recipes to the letter (no browning/frying off things) just stick it all in and leave it.

I had one, and gave it a good try, but was never particularly impressed with the results, despite using every tip I could find online to improve them.

Personally, I find stews etc much tastier if cooked slowly in the oven (easy to do as you would with a slow cooker if your oven has a timer function), and things like Bolognaise can be made in advance when you get time and left to be reheated later.

Just my experience, I know many of my friends love theirs!

Another option is this amazing contraption which is changing lives in places where people cook over open fires and is also a very handy non-electric slow cooker that you can use anywhere. I only use mine once every few weeks as I'm crap at planning ahead (and my four year old usually rejects anything stew-like) but it is brilliant.

http://nb-wonderbag.com

And the nicest recipes I've found for it so far are these two.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/748653/smoky-beef-stew

http://blommi.com/ginger-plum-chicken-wonderbag/

The beef one is easy peasy and lovely as long as the meat is really good, and the chicken one is a bit more faffy but absolutely amazingly delicious.

I use a cast iron casserole and sometimes leave it in the oven for a hour or so to give it the meat that yummy slightly caramelised flavour and then bung it in the wonder bag for another few hours until we're ready to eat it. I think it's the most brilliant invention! Only downside is its massive, like a cat bed, and fills 1/2 a kitchen cupboard.

I hadn't even thought about using one of these but with a 19 month constantly fiddling with the knobs on the oven temp it makes casseroling a bit of a nightmare! So i'm off to Argos to get one to try at 13.99 can't complain if you only use it a few times.

Please can people let us Know the best recipe spots xx

I made this on Monday. I put it on high for 3 hours then left it for approx 7 hours on low and the meat was melting.

SOOOOO yummy!

http://www.slowcookerqueen.com/category/slowcookerrecipes/kids-2/

this one above is one of the best sites. I used to follow her blog on twitter when she started out slow cooking and she has experimented so that we don't have to! Some fantastic recipes here - i've linked the ones the kids like.

I'm due our second in 7 weeks too and am strongly considering getting one. I'm especially interested in one with removal bowl that can be put on the hob to brown in first as don't like the idea of just sloping it all in. We cook on gas so I'm uncomfortable with the thought of leaving the house with the oven on which is another bonus to using a slow cooker, I won't be so paranoid about burning the house down! I wouldn't use it for things like bolognese or any sauces but would use it for slow cooking meat, stews, casseroles. I can see it being a winter wonder and then not used during the summer months, unless just for pork joints etc that can be shredded with rolls and salads. I currently spend 1-1.5 hours a night cooking but don't want to be continuing this in the first weeks of having a baby as I would prefer to spend my time with the baby. To me it seems like a good experiment and for that reason I won't spend a fortune on one at first.

Have you thought about fast cooking instead? We have just gone retro and bought a pressure cooker. It's amazing! All the types of recipes mentioned above but cooked in super-quick, energy efficient and flavour-saving time. Stews, risottos, tagines, curries all cooked in a fraction of the time. And great for just steaming vegetables and fish too. Pressure cookers are the future!

BellendenBear Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Have you thought about fast cooking instead? We

> have just gone retro and bought a pressure cooker.

> It's amazing! All the types of recipes mentioned

> above but cooked in super-quick, energy efficient

> and flavour-saving time. Stews, risottos, tagines,

> curries all cooked in a fraction of the time. And

> great for just steaming vegetables and fish too.

> Pressure cookers are the future!

Which one did you buy?

Not disputing the value of of pressure cooker but if your children are like mine, even 30 mins of cooking in the kitchen can be too much, we need a meal that is ready to serve up when we are ready for it. Literally plates and cutlery out, dish up, eat. That is why I love my slow cooker, this week we had three delicious meals from it only one was stew and next week we are having pulled pork, yum.

I have a slow cooker but don't use it very much. I find I get much better results with a cast iron pot in the oven (or stovetop). The thing I dislike about slow cookers is the steam is enclosed and has nowhere to go making all dishes a bit watery. Having said that lots of people swear by them.