What did you do this summer?!?

I'm planning to be on the case with booking next years summer holidays now that I'm in the swing of school term time restrictions! SO. Those of you with 4-6 year olds (and older!) - what did you do this summer? Did you find a lovely place that didn't cost the earth? Can you share?!?

We had an amazing 2 weeks in Lefkada in Greece in a lovely small complex of 12 villas with a pool and limited kids club. I would absolutely go again but for the cost - it was q expensive and we can't afford to do that too often. But I like sun, I like to go for two weeks, my boys like a pool and some sort of activities on offer.

Anyone have any ideas?

Happy to put them on here - http://www.simpsontravel.com/greece-holidays/lefkada/villas/mousses-creche-and-childrens-club

We had a really lovely holiday - I think my only reservations were that the beaches were not that amazing (no really sheltered sandy beaches for little ones, but fun wavy sandy beaches or calm pebbly ones), restaurants/town were not really walkable, and that there wasn't much else to do in terms of attractions like there are say in Spain. None of this mattered though, it was amazingly relaxed, safe, and warm!

We went camping in Brittany. Tent was pitched by a river, which was idyllic; lots of activities on offer including a kind of mini go ape for 4+, which I have never seen anywhere else; big pools; lovely Britanny beaches with no chavs or hurray Henries and nice food. It was by far the best holiday we've had.

Camping ty nadan.

When my children were around that age we went to Turkey ..to a place called Calis Beach ...villas with pools are cheap and you can fly Easyjet to Dalaman. We booked a villa through Holidaylettings.com.

The beach wasn't golden sand but there were loads of decent restaurants and beach sports we hung out in the pool...boat taxi to Fetiyhe was half hour. Turkey is like Greece used to be and much much cheaper

There are also hotels with kids clubs but that's never been my thing tbh

House swap (ours was at a 16th century palazzo in an Italian seaside resort!) - FREE other than flights/travel and you get the use of all of their toys/equipment/car etc. whilst knowing that your own house (and in our case, chickens) are being looked after.

We also swapped for a farmhouse in Normandy at May half term and drove there.

We loved it and would defo do again, although you have to be flexible on dates/location and find a person to swap with, so quite a lot of work involved beforehand.

We used the Guardian Home Exchange website.

Portugal, but not the Algarve. We've been twice in recent years; flights to Lisbon, and a rented apartment or villa with a pool. Both flights and accommodation quite a bit cheaper than Spain or France, for example, and costs once you're there are significantly less.

I'd particularly recommend this resort for young kids:

http://visit-sao-martinho-do-porto.com/en/

because the beach is very sheltered and the sea is calm. We also had an excellent holiday in Cascais.

The drawbacks - the sea is cold, much colder than the southern Med, and the weather is not as hot, though still 28 - 30 degrees.